cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: trying to download directly to drop box

Trying to download directly to drop box

Laura42
New member | Level 2

trying to see if downloading directly to drop box, instead of downloading to computer storage then move to Dropbox i am running out of computer storage doing this

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Laura42, thanks for contacting us!

Just to clarify, you're trying to upload files to your Dropbox account? From which device are you trying to do so?

I'm a little confused on what your plan is exactly, so could you describe it step-by-step for me?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Laura42
New member | Level 2

so I receive video and documents that need to be uploaded to Dropbox for others to be able to review.  right now the process is I open the video or docs download on my external hard drive then extract the zipped file, and upload to the drop box files. I am trying to see if their is a way to only upload to the drop box instead of using my hard drive.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Generally, when you receive a file, you need to save it to a location in order to be able to upload it to the site. 

There may be some other apps or services that can help upload email attachments automatically to Dropbox.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Callard
Explorer | Level 4

I have a similar problem. I am downloading files from a website to my hard drive and then upload them to Dropbox. How can I download them directly to Dropbox without saving them to my hard drive first? I can change the download location of files in my browser. How do I make that location a Dropbox folder?  Thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Callard, are you using the Dropbox desktop app, or are you uploading files to Dropbox through the website instead?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Callard
Explorer | Level 4

I use the website.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update, @Callard.

In that case, you won't be able to save files directly to your Dropbox, except if you're using a third party service that would export files to Dropbox directly.

However, if you were to use the Dropbox desktop app, the app would create a local Dropbox folder on your drive.

This is a folder like any other folder on your computer, just with syncing abilities, so files you add/delete/edit in that folder, would sync with your Dropbox account on the website.

And since it's just a normal folder, you can change your browser's download location to the Dropbox folder, so whatever you download, would get saved to your Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Callard
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, it helps to know how it could work but it isn't the solution I want because I don't want these files on my hard drive. Is there a 3rd party recommendation?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Callard, if there is a third party solution, we wouldn't be able to provide any details on it. I'll leave this thread open for other users to contribute their suggestions.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?