cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The .paper format is just an exercise in platform dependence.

The .paper format is just an exercise in platform dependence.

troeckl
New member | Level 2

It's absolute bull**** forcing us into your proprietary .paper format. For those who don’t know, .paper is essentially just a dressed-up version of markdown. However, the platform refuses to let us create or edit standard markdown files, insisting we use .paper format which is a nuisance for several reasons.

The .paper format is unique to Dropbox. No other platform recognizes or supports it. This means we’re locked into using Dropbox if we want to work with these files. Need to switch to another service or collaborate with someone who doesn’t use Dropbox? Good luck – you’re stuck converting files manually, which is a tedious and unnecessary extra step.

Markdown is a widely used and recognized format across numerous platforms and editors. It’s simple, versatile, and universally compatible. By refusing to support markdown directly, Dropbox is ignoring an industry standard that makes collaboration and content management seamless.

Forcing users to adopt a proprietary format is a classic example of vendor lock-in. Dropbox is making it deliberately difficult to leave their ecosystem by ensuring that our documents are tied to their platform. This isn’t about offering better features or a superior product – it’s about making sure we stay dependent on them.

The inability to work with markdown directly within Dropbox’s editor reduces our flexibility. Many of us use multiple tools and platforms daily, and markdown’s compatibility is a significant productivity enhancer. Being forced to use .paper instead of standard markdown disrupts our workflow and limits our efficiency.

It’s annoying to have to deal with unnecessary proprietary formats when a perfectly good, widely accepted alternative already exists. We shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to do something as simple as creating or editing a markdown file.

You refuse to make working with files straightforward and stress-free by forcing us to use your retarded .paper format and not giving us the ability to create or edit plain Markdown files on your platform, and it's unacceptable considering how much you're charging.

By the way nice job DropBox, of course you're the center of the universe here like nothing else matters ofc..

troeckl_0-1723004174584.png

Absolutely annoying!

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @troeckl, thanks for posting here! 

Your feedback regarding Dropbox Paper has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Your comments on Paper have been quite helpful, and I will do everything I can to ensure that your voice is heard.

If you need something else, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help every step of the way.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?