cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Synching issues on a new Apple MacBook Air - "syncing is paused while a file in this folder

Syncing issues on a new Apple MacBook Air - "syncing is paused while a file in this folder is open"

ProfCJJ
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

I have setup my new Mac and setup dropbox and the app has been synchronising for days - it has 1,200,000+ files left to sync and seems to be stuck.

Looking at "sync issues" there appear to be a dozen or so "syncing is paused while a file in this folder is open. Close the program using this file" errors. The files and folders in question are not being used by me and are not open. 

I am stuck - I need my files to synchronise so that I can get back to work - any help please?

I am on a MacBook Air M2 2023 running Ventura 13.6.3 - I have Dropbox Personal with 2TB of space of which in 1TB is used.

Thanks

Christopher

22 Replies 22

ProfCJJ
Explorer | Level 4
Hi

I did all of this but to no effect. The sync errors remain (even though I removed sharing of these folders using Dropbox access online via web browser).

I have notice that the “files syncing” number is going down - it’s down to 850,000+ now - but the two test files I setup still have not synced. (Plus remember I set it up to selectively sync just one sub folder as a test).

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Since there are a lot of files waiting to sync, I'd recommend giving it time to complete syncing in order to determine if the issue persists after all files are up to date according to the desktop app.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ProfCJJ
Explorer | Level 4

I am certainly giving it time - but bear in mind the computer has been on and syncing - day and night - for almost 10 days now!!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ProfCJJ, keep in mind that during an upload, the transfer speeds are also dependent upon how quickly your computer can process and compress the components of the files to make them available for upload.

The Dropbox client will also batch upload smaller files into batches of 800 files. If you have 800 * 1 kB files the effective batch that's sent to Dropbox will be 800 kB in size. 

You may commonly see this behavior when Dropbox first starts syncing as the client starts with smallest files first and then progresses to larger files.

Have you also checked to make sure that your bandwidth is set to "do not limit"? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

marietararealtor
Explorer | Level 4

Having the same issues. I just realized my files haven't been syncing since mid November. Locally on my Mac I can locate my files but in Dropbox online they are not there. No syncing issues when I check the syncing history but nothing is syncing.... 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @marietararealtor, sorry to hear about this.

What exactly is the sync status and version of the Dropbox app, when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

ProfCJJ
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

Thanks for the update. Yes the box its ticked (do not limit).

I am happy to say that this AM Dropbox seems to have caught itself up and all the errors are gone etc. It's taken just over 2 weeks with my M2 Mac on 24/7 but the important thing it worked!  

Thanks for the support.

Christopher

marietararealtor
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hahhah,

Shows syncing 2,282 files. Version 189.4.8427

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @marietararealtor, are you able to locate the files that aren't syncing from within the Dropbox folder in Finder, via the sync icons?

Are they all in the same folder(s), or in random locations?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

marietararealtor
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

I can locate the files through Drobox in finder but there is a cloud icon with an arrow pointing down to the left of the date modified. When I go into my Dropbox online, these files are not there. I got this new Macbook in November and since then, these files are showing in Finder. I am working in them throughout the day but not available online in Dropbox. I only discovered this when I needed to restore a previous version of a file and the file was not updated since November. None of these files have updated since I installed Dropbox on my new Macbook Pro. 

Need more support?