cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage problem

Storage problem

fdobedolla
New member | Level 2

I purchased the business plan. My question is very specific: to upload 200 GB of information, do I have to use the space on a device? What happens if I don't have space on that device? Can't I simply upload it to the cloud, like a server, without using the capacity of my computer?

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@fdobedolla wrote:

to upload 200 GB of information, do I have to use the space on a device? What happens if I don't have space on that device?

If you're using the Dropbox app to sync the files located in your Dropbox folder, then yes, you'll need to use the space on your drive, at least initially. Once synced, files and folders can be marked as Online-only so they don't use any disk space, but only after the sync has completed.

If you don't have enough local disk space, you would need to add files to your Dropbox folder in smaller batches, giving them time to sync, and then marking them as Online-only to reclaim that disk space for more files.

Can't I simply upload it to the cloud, like a server, without using the capacity of my computer?

Another method would be to use the dbxcli tool in a command prompt or terminal session to upload directly to your account.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?