cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device" error on iOS mobile app

Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device

RemPetitjean
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I can't save video files to my Iphone using Dropbox... I'm speaking about standard resolution short mp4 videos, the most common video to use ever. 

Can you let me know what I should do ? 

Thanks, 

Sincerely but upset 😉
Remi

13 Replies 13

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

The particular error message here happens when the app tries to save the file to the photo library but the photo library rejects it saying that we can't save it. Although the container might be supported, it's possible the video track inside the video isn't a format that iOS supports. If you want to upload a sample one somewhere I can glance inside to see what the contents of the file are and why it may be happening.

It is worth noting that the app is able to play a significantly larger set of video types than iOS natively supports because it leverages the Dropbox servers to transcode the video to a locally-playable format, so that isn't necessarily an indication that it's able to be saved.

RTB Visuals
Helpful | Level 5

Good to know.. is there a way to fix this? it just doesn't add up to me because I've used dropbox for years now, with the same camera, same file types, same sizes, same sd cards etc. nothing changed. So why all of the sudden this issue? I filmed a few days after again not even in 4k and it's still the same issue. it's unfortunate. It's not just me, my phone is updated, dropbox is updated, I have storage and I've sent it to 4 people purposefully to see if it was just my IOS device and its not. Everyone gets the same message. I NEED a file sharing service. Ive used dropbox for so long and it's been a vital part of my business but if my clients can't download their footage have to go somewhere else.

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

I'm not sure, I can look into this more if you can provide an example video that doesn't work (and if you'd like, an example video that does work). The system doesn't tell us why a video can't save, just that it's not valid for the photo library.

Paul James
New member | Level 2

Hello to anyone having this issue, where a Premiere Pro exported .mp4 video file will not save to your iPhone, and particularly when saving from DropBox. I have root-caused 2 contributing factors: 1. Exporting using 'hardware' and not 'software' under the 'performance' setting can cause the problem. 2. I found a 6k aspect ratio also caused the issue - when I reduced the export aspect ratio to 4k or below, the file saved to the iPhone as expected. I hope this helps someone.

Need more support?