cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Synced files missing, try to replace gets renamed "Conflicted Copy"

Some files don't sync to my desktop app and a conflicted copy is created, if I rename them.

adster
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello! I recently got a new MacBook and I'll my sharing it with my iMac. I use Dropbox to sync a folder of addons that I use for a design program. I just installed Dropbox on my new computer and most of the files synced to the new computer but some just never appeared. The app shows things are up to date.

Here's the weird part - the missing files show up online and when I download them and put them in the Dropbox of the new computer they get renamed Filename (ComputerName conflicted copy DATE).addon. If I look online that file is synced and still shows the original file.

It's almost as if Dropbox thinks that file is on the new computer but isn't?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@adster wrote:

Here's the weird part - the missing files show up online and when I download them and put them in the Dropbox of the new computer they get renamed Filename (ComputerName conflicted copy DATE).addon. ...

Ha..🤔 That's really something strange. I suspect something but let's check it - just few steps. Select one of those files that cannot sync (better some relatively small file).

First test is to Copy this file using your web browser in another folder. Does the copy start sync or behaves like original file? At the end you may remove the copy if you want.

Second test is to download selected file locally, outside Dropbox folder and also outside any other folder that may get backuped by Dropbox (like Documents, Music, etc) - good choice would be your local user folder. Once successfully downloaded, remove the original file from your online account using your browser. At the end upload it back to its original place again using your web browser. Does the sync start now normal for this file or file keeps behave strange?

Note that all actions need be in your web browser only, not your Finder or anywhere else! In your Finder and local Dropbox application, just observe only what/if something changes.

Please, post what you have observed for both test. 🙂 Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@adster wrote:

Here's the weird part - the missing files show up online and when I download them and put them in the Dropbox of the new computer they get renamed Filename (ComputerName conflicted copy DATE).addon. ...

Ha..🤔 That's really something strange. I suspect something but let's check it - just few steps. Select one of those files that cannot sync (better some relatively small file).

First test is to Copy this file using your web browser in another folder. Does the copy start sync or behaves like original file? At the end you may remove the copy if you want.

Second test is to download selected file locally, outside Dropbox folder and also outside any other folder that may get backuped by Dropbox (like Documents, Music, etc) - good choice would be your local user folder. Once successfully downloaded, remove the original file from your online account using your browser. At the end upload it back to its original place again using your web browser. Does the sync start now normal for this file or file keeps behave strange?

Note that all actions need be in your web browser only, not your Finder or anywhere else! In your Finder and local Dropbox application, just observe only what/if something changes.

Please, post what you have observed for both test. 🙂 Thanks.

adster
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ok tried some tests. Very interesting. So I created a new folder on the web and moved the 2 files that were not syncing to that folder. 1 of the 2 files showed up on my local Dropbox. Ok, weird. I downloaded the 2 files from the web in a ZIP folder. I deleted them from the new folder I made on the web. I then re-uploaded them using the web to the newly created folder. Both files synced to my local drive. Using the web I then moved them to the original folder where they were missing and both filed appeared locally. Very weird.

But looks like its working now?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Yes @adster, you just confirmed my initial suspicions. 🙂

The really weird thing here is that it happens on Mac. It's old know bug that Dropbox application on Mac attaches file attributes that confuse others Dropbox applications on other platforms, but for the first time it confuse other Dropbox Mac application (or maybe you're the first that complains). You can take a look here for the same issue and more info.

Good luck.

Need more support?