cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I dont understand what I'm paying for

Since when do you have to PAY to view a shared folder?

cmj83
New member | Level 2

A client shared has shared rather large files from their dropbox account and I'm unable to view them without paying for a dropbox account, what in the world is this dark pattern money gouging effort by dropbox?!.

My business does not use Dropbox (and hasn't intentionally since it started going downhill in 2014.) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @cmj83 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Shared folders take up space on all of the accounts that are members of the share. 

If you'd like to view the folder without impacting your own account's quota, you can ask the owner to share a link with view only rights with you instead.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @cmj83 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Shared folders take up space on all of the accounts that are members of the share. 

If you'd like to view the folder without impacting your own account's quota, you can ask the owner to share a link with view only rights with you instead.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

fmk1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, 

If the sharer creates the link with view only rights, will I be able to download said files onto a hard drive? Or will I forever need to rely on the sharer keeping the files on their dropbox account, and utilizing the specific sent link?

Thanks,

Faye

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @fmk1, if the owner of the file has allowed them to be downloaded, then you can download them onto your computer. 

If they've disabled downloads, then you'll only be able to access those files via their shared link, which does rely on them keeping the files on their account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jackrataty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I requested a free data set from Equibase.  They sent me a link to a shared folder containing historical files for racehorses.  This data should not change.  I kept gettin alerts that my account is too small and need upgraded to contain the data.  I'm sharing a file.  Why am I paying for the storage?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jackrataty wrote:

They sent me a link to a shared folder containing historical files for racehorses. ... I kept gettin alerts that my account is too small and need upgraded to contain the data.

If you're a member of a shared folder, you're not accessing that folder in someone else's account. The folder exists within your own account taking up space. If the folder is larger than the space available in your account, then you would need to upgrade to be able to hold the entire folder.

jackrataty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I dont need all of the data in the shared folder.  Can you remove files of the shared folder I dont need?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jackrataty wrote:

I dont need all of the data in the shared folder.  Can you remove files of the shared folder I dont need?

If you remove content from a shared folder, it's removed for all members of the folder.

Are you sure it's a shared folder with other members? Could they have shared the folder via a shared link and you chose to save it to your Dropbox? If it's the latter, you have your own copy and you can delete what you don't need.

How, exactly, was the data shared with you?

jackrataty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was set a link.  I see in the top the files shared folder and other users using this folder.  There is no option to delete files.    I kept getting alerts that I needed to upgrade for more memory.  I went ahead, even though I couldn't see the size of memory I am using for my files.  Now that I have paid I get alerts again to upgrade.  This is started to seem scammy

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmm, if you've upgraded and are still getting no space alerts, can you sign out of the account and sign back in, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?