cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing links in Excel spreadsheet - opens dropbox but not link

Sharing links in Excel spreadsheet - opens dropbox but not link

Katherine C.
New member | Level 1

Hi I hope someone can help with this probably simple problem. I have an excel spreadsheet that I want to share links to documents with. I find my document in dropbox, right click, share link get the address and then post this into excel as a hyperlink. Once the hyperlink opens it opens my dropbox to a blank page not to the specified document. How to do do this properly?

21 Replies 21

Katherine C.
New member | Level 1

The help says
If the person you share the link with already has the file or folder saved in their Dropbox, they will be taken directly to that file or folder's location.
I obviosuly have the file in my dropbox but the link takes me to a blank dropbox page inside my dropbox, doesnt show me the location or file at all

Philip S.1
New member | Level 1

I have another way of doing this, and this assumes that the Excel file you have is actually within the Dropbox structure somewhere (which is a reasonable assumption).

So simply create a hyperlink (Ctrl + K) within the cell in Excel and select the file you want to hyperlink to. Excel actually stores this as a RELATIVE path to that file, so even if someone else clicks that link it will open correctly. Here is the example:

Your Excel file is in "C:\Users\Katherine\Dropbox\Excel\MyFile.xlsx" and you want to link to "C:\Users\Katherine\Dropbox\Attachments\MyLinkedFile.docx".

So you hit Ctrl + K and use your filing system to find MyLinkedFile.docx. What happens is that Excel will store the link as "..\Attachments\MyLinkedFile.docx".

If you then tell Bill to open the Excel file and he clicks it, the relative link will correctly find "C:\Users\Bill\Dropbox\Excel\MyFile.xlsx" - in fact it won't matter where Dropbox is stored it will always work.

Hope that helps,
Phil

Katherine C.
New member | Level 1

Thankyou very much Phil for your answer I do appreciate your time.
That was the first way I was trying it, but then I can not seem to access these "mylinkedfile" from another device or computer.
My aim is to create an excel spreasheet that has hyperlinks to my important documents and files that I can access not only at home, but anywhere. I can currently obviuosly open my files anwhere by searching in dropbox, but I thought a planning document with the files listed in it in the catergories I need it would suit my needs this time. Eg I am a teacher, I want to link these documents into my lesson plans and be abel to access it through the excel sheet at school too???

Eric B.5
New member | Level 1

I am having the same problem, too. Uploaded to my Dropbox are an Excel Spreadsheet containing links to photos, and the photos themselves. When I click on the links in the Excel file, however, I get a message window saying that I can't access the photo files. I can go directly to and open the photos, of course, but I need to be able to see where they each tie in to the Excel file. -Eric

Soluciones C.
New member | Level 1

Hey Katherine and Phil and everyone,
I'm struggling with kind of the same issue but with external links to Excel files.
I created links between my Doc1 and my Doc2, so that whenever I update Doc1, Doc2 is updated too. I need all my partners to be able to do the same: edit Doc1, and check the modifications in Doc2.

During the first trials, what Phil said worked: Excel stored the path as relative path, and when Bill edited Doc1 he could see that Doc2 was updated as the path was the one on his computer.
But now, and especially since I converted the files from xlsx to xls, this does not work anymore. Excel stored the path of my computer and does not update it on Bill and everyone else's computer.

Do you have any explanation and solution?

Thanks so much for your help!

lyn d.
New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue - I want to link photos and compliance docs to a tender master list but the links seem to fail. I need to rework the business document library into a workable process - currently we are utilising an over complicated process due to this probelm

Susan C.30
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. A worksheet containing hyperlinks to Word documents works fine for me, but not for other users. If anyone knows a solution please share it. Thanks

Lea B.3
New member | Level 1

Hi All, 

Sharing a Dropbox link in a Excel file....

I have the same problem to... I have a Excel spread sheet we use to track estimates.. We have one folder on Dropbox with all our estimates in as pdf's, we want to email the Excel spreadsheet tracker out to colleagues allowing them to click on the shared hyperlink we have pasted on to the spread sheet taking them to each individual pdf, but when they click on the link they receive an error message "Cannot open the specified file" we know the links are live & the spread sheet is fully active with no restrictions, but what i find even more strange is if i email the the spread sheet back to myself, using the same PC i made the spread sheet with & me being spreadsheet author and Dropbox owner i to receive the same error message... 

Im sure its a easy fix, but can someone please help us...?

Regards Lea.

Mark
Super User II

It sounds like you've actually used relative links Lea - as in the work on that one machine only as they point to local folders (le. Lea's Work\Dropbox\Excel\Quotes). As soon as the excel file is ANYWHERE else those links fail. 

The only way around it I can think is to use Shared Links which when clicked would open the Dropbox webpage and an electronic PDF for your staff to view. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BarbaraHarris Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Susan C.30 New member | Level 2
    Amit H. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?