cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share of a folder is pointing to a different name

Share of a folder is pointing to a different name

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6

This may be difficult to explain so bear with me.

I have created a folder system "Dropbox/**bleep**'s Photos". Under this folder I have created several folders, one of which is "72 Flood" - remember this name.

I have invited people to a share of "**bleep**'s Photos" so that they can view all of the folders under that one folder. When I invite the people to the share, the "Share this folder" window shows "**bleep**'s Photos". However, when the share invitation is received and the people sign in to their Dropbox account, their shared folder is "72 Flood". Under "72 Flood" is "72 Flood" and all the other folders.

They can view all the photos so that is not an issue. The issue is that the shared folder should read "**bleep**'s Photos". This creates a lot of confusion between them and me when I refer to "**bleep**'s Photos" and they don't have "**bleep**'s Photos". I don't even have "Dropbox/72 Flood". So I don't know how they can be seeing "72 Flood" as the shared folder.

I am thinking that Dropbox is confused somehow because of my initial testing. When I first started this project, I created "Dropbox/72 Flood". Eventually under that folder I created "72 Flood". When my testing was complete, I deleted "Dropbox/72 Flood" so that there would be no confusion. At this point I created "Dropbox/**bleep**'s Photos" and continued as detailed above.

How can I fix this so that the users see the shared folder "**bleep**'s Photos"? Or is this not possible without starting over - which is a non-starter. That would create endless confusion. This has already created confusion with 2 of my users that I know of. I have a total of 13 people I am sharing with so I hope you understand the magnitude of my problem.

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Hi

Dropbox remembers the initial shared folder name regardless of what it is called after that. So, If you desperately need it as something else you need to start a new one. However an important point here is that any person in the share can rename or move it at free will. So although you want it called **bleeps photos** they could rename that to "Bobs working files" if they so wished 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wa4ywm
Helpful | Level 6

Mark,

As soon as I finished my testing I deleted the original folder - 72 Flood. I didn't rename it.

I then created the current folder. Why would Dropbox insist on using a folder I deleted? That doesn't make sense.

Mark
Super User II

Its probably linking back to what is still there - especially if syncing was still happening. 

I'd set it up in a new location if I'm honest and then if needed move it to the location you want it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    wa4ywm Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?