cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Screenshots are not being saved to Dropbox on my new computer

Screenshots are not being saved to Dropbox on my new computer

Mark T
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a new HP computer. Windows 11. I use to do Ctrl Prt SC and the screenshot went directly to my Dropbox screenshot folder. That does nothing on my new computer. The prt sc wording is on the upper portion of the right shift key. Nothing happens even with ctrl shift prt sc. I can right click on an image and select take screenshot, but that only adds it to the download arrow on the upper bar. What am I doing wrong or is there something I need to set up. I read all kinds of searches and they do not seem to help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Mark T wrote: 

The prt sc wording is on the upper portion of the right shift key. Nothing happens even with ctrl shift prt sc.

I think you need to figure out how the Print Screen keys works on your computer first, since it's in a non-standard location. You may need to hold you Fn key, if you have one, or something similar. Try taking a screenshot and just pasting it into Paint Brush or Word, etc., to see if it's at least working. Once you know it's working, you can enable the Dropbox option in Preferences.

Also note that you usually only need to hit Print Screen (no CTRL) to take a screenshot of the entire window, or ALT+Print Screen to take a screenshot of the active window. The CTRL key usually isn't needed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Mark T wrote: 

The prt sc wording is on the upper portion of the right shift key. Nothing happens even with ctrl shift prt sc.

I think you need to figure out how the Print Screen keys works on your computer first, since it's in a non-standard location. You may need to hold you Fn key, if you have one, or something similar. Try taking a screenshot and just pasting it into Paint Brush or Word, etc., to see if it's at least working. Once you know it's working, you can enable the Dropbox option in Preferences.

Also note that you usually only need to hit Print Screen (no CTRL) to take a screenshot of the entire window, or ALT+Print Screen to take a screenshot of the active window. The CTRL key usually isn't needed.

Mark T
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a HP Envy x360 Laptop. On a visit to the Geek Squad to fix an item on my computer, the Tech showed me that fn ctrl prtsc took a screen shot of the active window and placed it in my Drop Box Screen Shot folder. Previously I saw that right clicking on the page and selecting screenshot, I could choose save full page, save visible or drag and frame a region to save, but this involved additional steps that were very cumbersome to me. Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts on this process. I am surprised at the answer the tech gave me, but it works. I did not see anything to lead to that conclusion on all of my searches.

Need more support?