cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: Refreshing a folder on Android does not seem to refresh the folder view

Problem: Refreshing a folder on Android does not seem to refresh the folder view

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

1. I edit a small .txt file on Desktop, increasing the file size e.g. to 10 bytes.

2. I see my txt file synchronized OK.

3. I see my txt file is now shown as 10 bytes on the dropbox.com website.

4. Using the Android Dropbox app, when I pull down from the top of the screen, a refresh animation appears.  But, the file is not updated with the new size.  It still shows the old size.

(I have also sent this as in-app feedback)

11 Replies 11

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sourcejedi, thanks for posting here! 

Would you mind clarifying your device's precise OS, and the Dropbox version you're using there? 

When did you first notice this and have you tried uninstalling, and re-installing the app at all? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Megan!

I installed Dropbox on Android today.  I've never used it on Android before.  I haven't tried wiping it. 

App version 384.2.2.

Google Pixel 8a, Android 14, security update 5 June 2024.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sourcejedi, is it just that the size remains the same, or when you open the file you also see that the updates aren't reflected?

Did you try uninstalling, and reinstalling the app at all? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again for your questions!

A1) This still happens after uninstalling and re-installing the Dropbox Android app.

Sidenote: the refresh *does* show newly added files.  But, even when it does this, it does not update the size shown for an existing file in the same folder.

A2) I don't open TXT files on Android.  I ran the smaller bug test above to isolate *part* of the real bug I had.  I can now confirm my second, longer bug report, as follows:

1. Uninstall Keepass2Android Offline (on Android)

2. Install Keepass2Android Offline (on Android)

3. On PC, using KeePassXC, create and save the file "test.kdbx" in my Dropbox folder.  To make sure it is not empty, add a blank password entry called "test 1".

4. In Dropbox on Android, mark test.kdbx as "available offline", and wait for it to be downloaded.

5. On PC, edit and save the file "test.kdbx".  For example, add a new empty password entry to test.kdbx called "test2".

6. In Dropbox on Android, refresh the view of the folder which contains "test.kdbx".

7. Now open Keepass2Android Offline.

8. Tap "open file..." > "system file picker" > menu > Dropbox > test folder > "test.kdbx"

9. Enter the unlock password for test.kdbx, which you set in step 3.

10. K2A shows only the initial "test 1" entry.  It does not show the refresh i.e. the new entry "test 2".

11. As expected, inside Keepass2Android Offline, tapping "synchronize database" inside the  "⋮" menu (top right) does not refresh the test.kdbx file either.

I am aware of one other approach that *does* refresh the kdbx file.  However, that approach means I have to take more steps, compared to if this bug could be solved.  Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update, @sourcejedi.

If I understand correctly, you've somehow connected KeePass to your Dropbox.

Can you try disconnecting it and then reconnecting it, to see if that helps at all?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your questions. I do appreciate someone might have meant several different things.

I believe it should be possible to follow the instructions above with practically any PC and Android phone. I welcome any clarifying questions. The two KeePass apps for PC and Android are free, do not contain ads, and open source.

Inside my Dropbox account, I have *not* enabled any third-party extension code or services.  I am only using Dropbox to share a file "test.kdbx", and updates to that file, from my PC to my phone.

Keepass2Android Offline does not have any direct code for networking with Dropbox, to reduce security risks.  Instead, Keepass2Android Offline uses the Android "open file" dialog which supports opening files from the phone's internal storage, from Google Drive app, from Dropbox Android app, etc.

The instructions above involve completely resetting Keepass2Android Offline, and then using it to open a file via the Dropbox Android app.

I have now verified that the instructions above are repeatable in full, with the same result.

Therefore, I am confident the old version of the file is due to the Dropbox app.  The old version of the file did not originate from the K2A app, because the K2A app and all its internal data was completely removed at the start of the test.

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

> "I have also sent [the first, *part* of the full bug] as in-app feedback"

Tommy, Jul 9, 2024, 4:28 AM PDT:

Thanks for reaching out about this! I've passed your report along to our engineering team who will endeavor to fix it.

As there is now a report with our engineering team, due to how our ticketing system works, we will need to close this support ticket. We will reach back out with any further information or questions.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @sourcejedi, thanks for the update on this.

Can you give me the ticket number for that report, so I can look into it on my end as well?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

sourcejedi
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Hannah! Here is the first line from Tommy's email.  I guess this links to the support ticket which was closed.  I can't see it at all, maybe you will have access to see the engineering ticket as well:

Ticket #23976506: pull down shows refresh icon but does not refresh (Host: atlas-mobile-logging-batc...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sourcejedi Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?