cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: can't Copy Dropbox Link before upload is complete = path/not_found/ error

Please don't block me from generating a link for a file that hasn't finished uploading

terra1983
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

A new "feature" has been implemented where if I drop a new file in a DB folder, and then go to click on "Copy Dropbox Link", it simply won't perform the task until the file has finished uploading. 

Apparently this is to "prevent 404 errors". The "error" page that comes up when you clicked on a link before it had finished uploading was actually a "Uh Oh! File hasn't finished uploading yet". This to me isn't an "error" page and shouldn't be treated as such. It's clear and communicates exactly what it needs to and doesn't warrant a restriction in functionality for the rest of the users.

The solution you've silently implemented has caused a monstrous delay in my daily workflow.

I work in a fast paced environment, generating new content every hour and sharing it with dozens of people in my team. The fact that I can simply drop files and right-click and "copy link" and THEN carry on with the rest of my tasks while keeping an eye out for the spinning icon in the tray and THEN send the copied link to my recipients, means that I am FLOWING.

When I have to do that dozens of times per hour, if you block me from generating a link as soon as I drop it in the DB folder, you're forcing me to having to RETURN back to DB a second time in the process. You've added a whole extra step, and it's absolutely killed my flow.

95 Replies 95

funwin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, 

Yes correct, on the desktop application. I've done a screen recording of the process. I do this 5 to 10 times a day and until recently, was able to comp the dropbox link once the file started syncing. Now it does not work until is completed syncing. 

Screen recoding - link removed.

Thanks for you help. 

svervs
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walter   I'm on MacOS 10.15.7 (19H1922)

funwin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

not sure why a dropbox link would be removed from a dropbox forum. Hopefully you can see the screen recording. 

Else I've attached a screenshot

Untitled.jpg

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you both for your updates @isotropy & @svervs - much appreciated!

May we reach out via email to have a further look internally at this point? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

svervs
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes of course feel free to contact me.

But ... 174.4.5852 seems to fix this, on macOS 10.15.7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @svervs, I've sent you an email, please could you reply to it as soon as you get a chance!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

isotropy
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Sure thing! - I'll test the latest version tomorrow to see if it's working on my side.

Rexxyboy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply!

It's a windows 11 notification that come up if i right click, choose more options, then choose Copy Dropbox link, just says Path not found.

The Blue dropbox submenu where i would normally get the link from only appears after an upload finishes. For a while there it would still appear before the upload was finished which is awesome, as i can keep working forwards and not have to remember to come back to get the link.

So it's just back to the same bug that means you have to wait for a large upload to complete before you can copy the link and paste it on a google doc.

My version is 174.4.5852 in Windows 11 Pro with all the latest updated.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, could you contact the support team for them to look into this in more detail?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

isotropy
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

This might be a Windows only bug now? - looks like it's working for me Mac OS 12.3.1 DB 174.4.5852. Thanks for fixing this yet again! Hope the windows fix comes quick too.

Need more support?