cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Photoshop won't Save for Web unless Dropbox Desktop & Documents backup disabled

Photoshop won't Save for Web unless Dropbox Desktop & Documents backup disabled

blloyd
New member | Level 2

This issue affects Adobe Photoshop and the Dropbox backup features on Mac Big Sur.
When the Desktop and Documents are selected as Personal backup folders, it seems to mess up the Adobe permissions, so that the Save for Web option in Photoshop doesn't work. Only when you deselect the Desktop and Documents backup options do the permissions reset.
Not sure if this is a Dropbox problem or Adobe problem. I found the solution in the Adobe forums here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-save-for-web-error-a-write-permissi...
Would be good if we could fix this so I can continue to back up my Desktop and Documents folders.

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @blloyd, thanks for providing these details!

We appreciate your feedback on this matter.

This info could help other users on the forum if they experience similar issues in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

saburicom
New member | Level 2

I have been having this problem forever. This feature is huge for web developers.

I think it is a Mac Dropbox problem, but maybe because Adobe's save for web feature is pretty old-school part of the code. Only when the Backup feature for Dropbox in enabled, this permission thing occurs (in the Save for Web feature of photoshop specifically).

Francesco S.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

Anyone in the team knows if with the new dropbox backup update this kind of problems with adobe saving have been resolved?

I had to turn off this feature months ago, in order to using and saving correctly with the creative cloud

Thanks

ihouseu
Explorer | Level 3

I've managed to fix this. Here's the steps:

Disable Dropbox Backup temporally in settings.

Close Dropbox.

Find Dropbox in Applications, right click, go to Get Info.

Add Read/Write access to Administrators & Everyone. Save.

Open Dropbox.

Enable Backups again.

Open photoshop and hey presto Export for Web is working and Dropbox Backups are enabled. 

casperholm
New member | Level 2

Sorry ihouseu

Didn't work for me on M1 Ventura PS 2023 😞

acantwell
Explorer | Level 3

Excellent, thanks; it worked for me. iMac 2017 Intel, OS 13.2.1 

Dont_Drop_Us_In_It
New member | Level 2

It's now September 2023 and Dropbox is still ignoring designers and developers who use Adobe and like to backup our computers. I've been using DB since they launched but now it's time to give serious consideration to their competition.

FritzMiller
Explorer | Level 4

Seriously. If this is a dropbox issue, why has it not been addressed, even if it isn't dropbox's fault, can they provide any suggestions or solutions? I've been dealing with this issue off and on for well over a year.

To recap, using Save for Web (Legacy), I am getting this error:

Adobe save for web error

Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occurred.

Can someone please help? 

Need more support?