cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pause sync and resume sync have disappeared!

Pause sync and resume sync have disappeared!

DL8
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

In the past, there was always the ability to pause sync so that I could upload a backup from an existing file. Now there is a new version of Dropbox (99.3.488). The pause sync and resume sync capabilities have vanished! Anyone with any ideas?

19 Replies 19

revmlt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Windows user here. I am having the same problem - can't find pause sync - while trying to transfer everything from one computer to the other.  I don't see an answer for Windows and the Mac solution isn't available for Windows.  Help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @revmlt, you can pause syncing by following the steps in this article.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shastings
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So now it looks like there's been yet another update. When you click on the spinning wheel in the system tray, there is no longer ANY option that I can see to pause syncing in any way whatsoever. It simply open up a new DropBox interface where you can see your folders, etc (which is completely redundant, but that's another matter).

Please, someone tell me that I'm missing something here and the feature to pause syncing hasn't been removed altogether. I work with extremely large files in Adobe and often run into issues where Windows tells me I can't save the file due to it being in use (because it's trying to sync it). Not being able to pause is completely unacceptable.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @shastings; thanks for joining the discussion here!

You should be able to see the option to pause syncing when you hover your mouse over the status of the desktop app in your system tray

Can you give this a go and let us know if it works for you? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

shastings
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Walter-- thanks for the reply! It's really strange, but on the day I posted here, there was a period of time where the pause option wasn't showing up when I moused over the icon in the system tray... but then sometime later it was magically back (??). No idea but just thankful the feature hasn't been removed! Thanks again. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No biggie @shastings; I'm just glad to hear it's sorted out now. 

See you around the Community! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

MichelleMS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am on a mac. just updated my dropbox to 111.4.472 and I am stuck on paused syncing. I hover over the icon at the top that is greyed out with the two lines that indicate paused and it will not let me unpause it. What am I doing wrong?

Michelle

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @MichelleMS, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I just saw your other post from here, and it looks like you were able to resume syncing, is that right?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TDP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I am on a laptop with Windows 10. 

I am trying to pause synch for folders which are shared with others, so that my laptop space is not used up. When I follow directions and click on the tiny dropbox icon in the horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen, nothing happens. If I hover over that icon, I see that a huge video is being uploaded, which I do not want on my laptop, but there is no way I can change that. So, now what?

Thanks. 

TDP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have now just removed myself from the shared folder; not ideal, but the only way to keep from getting all those files on my computer. (I have version: 112.4.321, or so it appears)

-tdp-

Need more support?