cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Files are shown as Zero Bytes

Online Files are shown as Zero Bytes

zolabola
Explorer | Level 3

I am currently on MacOS Monteray 12.4 and using SmartSync (online-only) by default. The Dropbox App version is v151.4.4304 . I noticed that all the cloud files are now shown as Zero bytes. I could still download them (make them available offline) but I remember in previous versions, I could see the size of the files before choosing to download them. Is there some fix for that? I just followed some discussion groups and clicked on "Fix Permissions" under the account tab, which is syncing many files. Not sure if that will fix the issue. Any other tricks to fix this?

13 Replies 13

HTDUCK
Helpful | Level 6

Nancy - we have an advanced plan for work and I also have a personal account as well.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the update, @HTDUCK.

We appreciate your feedback about this matter.

At the moment, you can keep an eye on this article for any updates about the Dropbox for macOS support.

This article also includes links to articles about the expected changes after the update etc., which you'll definitely find helpful.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Trappist
Explorer | Level 3

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't seem to locate anything related in the search. 

As stated in the subject line. My new MAC (I'm still becoming accustomed to) is not reporting the Online Only filesize in Dropbox. 

I have checked off the setting in the online account for 'Online-only files on Mac'  OFF. It was originally set to OFF, I tried both ON and then again OFF again.  

I have closed and reloaded the app and rebooted the Mac. 

Files still report 'zero bytes' in the DropBox Size Column.

The description isn't so clear to me as this setting states;

'This displays online-only file sizes in Mac Finder as zero bytes so you can easily review which files are taking up hard drive space.'

If they display as zero bytes, how would you determine what is taking up space? Likely I'm going down the wrong path?

I use freefilesync to keep data sync'd up across drives and with DropBox. Because freefilesync detects the DropBox file size on the Mac is different than the source files on my portable SSD, 'xxx bytes' vs 'zero bytes', it always want’s to overwrite all. I have .8TB to sync so this isn't an option to do with online files. 

If I select a file to on the Mac to be 'available offline' it will update and report the size accordingly. Setting it back to online reports back as zero bytes. 

On my windows machine, DropBox reports the file size regardless if the file is set to Offline or Online only so no issues syncing my devices with DropBox there. 

MAC

Trappist_4-1690527352913.png

Windows

Trappist_5-1690527384866.png

Trappist_2-1690525383135.png

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Trappist, thanks for reaching out to us!

I've moved your post to this relevant thread and want to let you know that with the release of macOS 12.3, some changes were introduced, which mean that all online-only files will display a file size of Zero bytes.

You can see more details on Dropbox support for macOS 12.3 and higher here.

I hope this clarifies things.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Trappist Explorer | Level 3
    HTDUCK Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?