cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: On-line only folders start syncing out of nowhere

On-line only folders start syncing out of nowhere

Squick55
Explorer | Level 3

Hey there, I don't know what board this should be placed under because none of them seem fitting for the issue I'm having. So I just installed a new SSD and did a clean install of all my main programs I use. I installed Dropbox and went through and synced only certain files and folders with selective sync. Most of the folders I did sync I made online only so I could still see the contents if I needed something. After everything did its initial sync and everything was complete It was fine for about a week. Then out of nowhere Dropbox started syncing folders and files that I know I had previously set to online only. So I went back through and did it all again and changed a bunch of folders to online only and yet again a few days later all those folders started to sync again. I tried changing them to online only one more time and it just happened again tonight. 

When I reached out to support about this, I was told to try turning off my antivirus and firewall systems and see if the issue continues but the problem I have with that is I don't know how long it's going to take before this issue starts happening again and I'm not going to go days and days without antivirus or firewall set up. Plus that just doesn't really make sense to me. What would the AV or Firewall have to do with it? I set the folders and files to online only, they should stay that way. How are they getting changed? Has anyone else experienced this and/or figured out a solution? I'm half tempted to uninstall Dropbox because every time this happens it ends up using a lot of Internet data. This is crazy!

This wasn't happening before I changed the SSD but I don't see how it could be something with the SSD itself. I've been using Dropbox for a very long time, 10 plus years probably and have never experienced this. I've also been using the same antivirus for probably 5 plus years as well. This issue is driving me up a wall. I hope somebody knows something about this issue.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

Squick55
Explorer | Level 3

I uninstalled trend micro and didn't have the issue this last week so that must have been the issue. But I don't like the idea of not have AV on my computer after being hacked before. Any thoughts on how to fix the issue?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Have you tried whitelisting Dropbox in your antivirus program or excluding the Dropbox folder from its scans @Squick55 ?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Squick55
Explorer | Level 3

I thought about that but that's my primary file storage. I guess if anything were to download unknowingly it would be to the system. I can try that I guess.

Need more support?