cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not seeing my backups on other devices, after updating the Backup feature

Not seeing my backups on other devices, after updating the Backup feature

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

Dear All.

I have been using Dropbox for over a decade. It would always sync my desktop in such a way that I was able to access any file from my desktop on any of my other devices, including phones and tablets. I love this feature.

Recently the desktop app asked me if i want to put my desktop in backup which I accidentally said yes to. I instantly regretted it as I lost Desktop sync and now can no longer access my desktop files on other devices. I turned off backup feature and reinstalled Dropbox to no avail. 

Please help! I loved desktop sync and have been using it over a decade. It is the FEATURE i use dropbox for. 

How do I reenable desktop sync? It used to show up as an icon in my Dropbox folder under ‘Mac’

I use a MacBook Pro.

Thank you in advance.

28 Replies 28

ChristoC87
Helpful | Level 5

Please revert back to the previous version where you can actually access all files via the app on a phone or other device. The functionality of dropbox is now totally ruined. 

I honestly have no idea why anybody thought it should have been removed. The new update means I can no longer access my files easily without going into back up. 

Please correct this massive failure by Dropbox or I and many others will be cancelling subscription. 

ChristoC87
Helpful | Level 5

Any idea how soon something like this can be (re) implemented. As others have suggested, the usability of Dropbox is not there anymore. I will definitely be looking for alternatives if the sync feature is not put back. I honestly can not think of a single reason why it would have been done in the first place, was very smooth before. 

ChristoC87
Helpful | Level 5

Ok this works and apart from now having a duplicate, up to date files are now accessible from other devices etc. 

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

Hello, I may have missed something in the thread but would somebody be able to point me towards how to re-instate this feature (Christo, I see that you said 'this works' but I couldn't see what 'this' is. 

Many thanks in advance for your help, Like everyone on this thread I do not understand what this was implemented in this way and with absolutely no warning/release notes etc...

all my best

Dan

KerriKendall990
Helpful | Level 5

It's completely destroyed.  I can't even see the content in the shared folders, from my phone.   I'm so devastated by this ridiculous update. 

ChristoC87
Helpful | Level 5

There's a reply on page 2 by Rich that explains how to do it. It's not perfect but better than the rubbish dropbox left us with

danbett
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks Christo, much appreciated. Hopefully Dropbox will sort this out but.......

all my best

Dan

schroeder8210
New member | Level 2

This is confirmed as being a feature that has been decommissioned/depreciated. (I spoke with support about it today)

If you have had the backup enabled BEFORE the "BETA" version, then your sync should stay intact. If you have, for any reason, had the "Dropbox Backup BETA" replace your old "Dropbox Backup", then there's nothing you can do.

You cannot revert backwards, you cannot reinstall/reset, nor can you create a new account: as this BETA is the default Backup currently.

This feature was one of the key reasons I even chose to use Dropbox over Onedrive [which also has the feature, but Onedrive doesn't save Metadata: i.e Thumbnails, for certain file-types].

I previously could open the app and see the shared team folder and the 'PC' folder for my desktop backup.

Now we're expected to access the backup via the web, yet you can't do some tasks: like delete a file via the browser version. [I'm not sure if that could be done in the past via the phone app]

Just a dumb choice to remove one of the best features provided by the service. This honestly leads me to feel compelled to look elsewhere.

Rich
Super User II

@schroeder8210 wrote:

If you have, for any reason, had the "Dropbox Backup BETA" replace your old "Dropbox Backup", then there's nothing you can do.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    schroeder8210 New member | Level 2
    danbett Helpful | Level 7
    ChristoC87 Helpful | Level 5
    KerriKendall990 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?