cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need help reestablishing desktop sync

Not seeing my backups on other devices, after updating the Backup feature

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

Dear All.

I have been using Dropbox for over a decade. It would always sync my desktop in such a way that I was able to access any file from my desktop on any of my other devices, including phones and tablets. I love this feature.

Recently the desktop app asked me if i want to put my desktop in backup which I accidentally said yes to. I instantly regretted it as I lost Desktop sync and now can no longer access my desktop files on other devices. I turned off backup feature and reinstalled Dropbox to no avail. 

Please help! I loved desktop sync and have been using it over a decade. It is the FEATURE i use dropbox for. 

How do I reenable desktop sync? It used to show up as an icon in my Dropbox folder under ‘Mac’

I use a MacBook Pro.

Thank you in advance.

28 Replies 28

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify what you mean by 'desktop sync'? If you're referring to the Dropbox Backup feature, then it wasn't around 10 year ago, since it was only introduced two years ago.

Do you see any backups on this page?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

I don't see any backups on that page as I intentionally disabled dropbox backup.

When I say 'desktop sync' what I mean is my laptop used to have a Apple logo in the dropbox folder. This was called 'Mac' and represented my Macbook's desktop. Any files or changes I made to the desktop of my laptop would automatically be synced to dropbox and I could access my desktop documents from any of my other devices.

I loved this feature and it was so simple and useful to me.

I accidentally clicked yes to a desktop prompt a few days ago that asked if I wanted to move my desktop to 'backup'. The moment I clicked yes, my desktop folder in dropbox disappeared and I could not access my desktop files on any other device anymore. 

I am trying to re-enable that feature such that my macbook's desktop is automatically synced on dropbox and so essentially I can access my Macbook desktop from my other devices.

Thank you

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Roroboo, and sorry for jumping in. 

Did you click on a prompt to update Dropbox Backup perhaps, before this happened?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

I don’t remember exactly but I believe you are correct @Nancy . There was an update that it wanted me to perform and then a prompt asked if I wanted to make my desktop as a backup on Dropbox backup? I think i accidentally clicked yes to this prompt.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for confirming! In this case, it sounds like this is a result of this update (with the updated Dropbox Backup, backups from other devices will only be accessible from the web). 

If you want though, I can pass your feedback and comments on this directly to our team.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

@Nancy I would like you to pass on the feedback thank you.

However is there any way to return to the previous Dropbox behavior?

I have been having my Desktop synced via Dropbox for over a DECADE and losing this feature overnight is not ideal. 

Is there a way for me to return to having my desktop synced to Dropbox so that I can access it on my other devices?

It is such a great feature of Dropbox there must be a way to re-enable it?

Thank you

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Roroboo, the only way for you to achieve what you're describing is with the use of our Backup feature. 

It does essentially what you wish to do: sync your Downloads, Desktop and Documents to Dropbox, and then to any other devices you may have.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

KerriKendall990
Helpful | Level 5

I have this exact same issue.  I used to be able to access my desktop from my phone, and now I can't.  It's very frustrating  (as was the response they gave you). 

Roroboo
Helpful | Level 6

@KerriKendall990 I completely agree, this happened to me a few days ago and its super frustrating as I’ve lost a way of using Dropbox that I’ve used for almost 15 years.

@Megan so the thing I noticed with the backup feature is that it backs up my desktop to Dropbox backup but that it disappears from my other devices. My phone, iPad and other laptop are not able to sync with Dropbox backup. If i try to go to Dropbox backup on my iPad right now It wont even let me access that website. 

So although my laptop can back up my desktop to ‘Dropbox backup’ it’s essentially cut off from my mobile devices. 

Can we not have our desktop synced to Dropbox like it always used to be?

Thank you

Need more support?