cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need recommendation for advising team on local syncing best practices

Need recommendation for advising team on local syncing best practices

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5

We will be doing a very large reorganization of our Dropbox - making new structures in folders, moving files, and archiving unneeded stuff. In terms of offering the team guidance on re-syncing only needed items and disposing of the "old", is it as simple as requesting they trash their entire local folders and starting over? Our biggest fear is loss of work not saved past their own desktop. 

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rebecca16, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're all part of the same Dropbox for Business teams account or if you have individual accounts?

If you'll be making changes to your folder structure, there's no need for the team members to delete any of their folders, they'll just need to let the Dropbox desktop app sync the changes you made till it's up to date. 

I hope this helps a tad and please keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5

@Walter We are all currently individual accounts but need to switch to a business teams account and absorb everyone. Whether we do this before or after the reorg is unclear at this time. Would it make a difference?

In general, is it possible to wipe a desktop app of all content before resyncing with the "new" folders? We would want to avoid people accessing old archived versions of things on their local space. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rebecca16, sorry to jump in here.

Allow me to advise, that if you're planning on upgrading to a Dropbox Business team, re-organizing folders at this time will be somewhat redundant.

I'm only saying that, because with the upgrade, the folder structure of everyone on the team will change anyway, to reflect the structure of a Business account.

Upon upgrading, a new folder will appear in each user's Dropbox folder, the member folder, named after each member.

The space outside this member folder will be the 'team space'.

How the team space is organized, will be up to the team admin.

You can read more about the team space here and how to manage it as an admin here.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5

@Hannah thanks for that info. It does open a new set of questions for me regarding switching over. 

If we do an upgrade to Business Teams, what does that do to everyone's current access to current folders?

What does the structure default to in regards to the current folders/files we all share? 

In terms of making sure everyone has access to the folders in Business Teams, can we just grant edit access to the top level folder? 

Can anyone who is on our Business Teams account upload new files anywhere or only places they have edit permissions for?

What is an alternative upgrade to Business Teams that keeps the current structure functionality the same - i.e. what we see and how we share in our current individual account setup?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rebecca16, the current folders would be moved into a personal folder in the individual team accounts. Shared folders would appear in a separate section.

You can grant edit access to the top level folder, however, this would also mean that users can delete entire folders from the team. Users will be able to upload wherever they have edit access.

Currently, there isn't another upgrade that would keep your current structure the same way. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay So, folders I personally created and shared with others would go into a personal folder (even if shared with others) and all the folders shared with me goes into a shared folder. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If it is a normal shared folder, either created by you or by another person, then it would appear in your personal folder. 

Team folders (which are also shared folders in a manner of speaking, but for the team) would appear outside the personal folder in the main team space. Sorry for any confusion.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rebecca16
Helpful | Level 5

@Jay those team folders are what we create after we upgrade the subscription, correct? And in theory we can move folders from our personal folder to Team folders space? Is that something the Admin does so as not to create an issue with everyone trying to move folders around?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

That's correct, you can move folders you own from the personal folder into team folders. 

This is usually done by the users, however, the team admin would need to access those other user accounts, if they have the option to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?