cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Dropbox shortcut is missing from my user startup folder

My Dropbox shortcut is missing from my user startup folder

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

I placed a shortcut link to DB in my user Startup folder. I was working fine for weeks then suddenly it was gone! This started happening a few months ago. I researched the issue on this forum and found reference to this and tried the various suggestions. But the problem is still raising its head.

More on my setup and actions I took. I have an administrator user and Std user accounts. My Std user is my main account. The Admin for, well, administration. Because I didn't want DB to run for the Admin user, I turned off the option to launch on startup. I then copied the shortcut to DB into the Std user's startup folder. That worked for awhile, then stopped. I found that the shortcut had been deleted. No other shortcut in the Startup folder was affected. I thought maybe the permissions or ownership was the issue so I made sure the Std user was the owner. Now it's happened again and I'm stumped. Oh, I went to my backups and the file is in the backup. So I know it was installed. 

What the heck is going on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@DoctorBashir wrote:

I then copied the shortcut to DB into the Std user's startup folder.

Don't copy or change the original shortcut. The installer and update process tends to replace them with each install or update. Instead, make your own shortcut to the Dropbox executable. If it continues to get deleted, it's not Dropbox doing it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@DoctorBashir wrote:

I then copied the shortcut to DB into the Std user's startup folder.

Don't copy or change the original shortcut. The installer and update process tends to replace them with each install or update. Instead, make your own shortcut to the Dropbox executable. If it continues to get deleted, it's not Dropbox doing it.

DoctorBashir
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks, I'll try that.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DoctorBashir Helpful | Level 6
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?