cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files and file contents after restoring my Dropbox to a new computer

Missing files and file contents after restoring my Dropbox to a new computer

gokenchung
Explorer | Level 3

I recently upgraded my iMac's to a new SSD because the old one was running with read/write errors frequently. After waiting for hours for the Time Machine to pour back my backed up data, I discovered that 4 month's of data (files and some contents in Excel files) gone missing! As if Dropbox has rolled back the contents of my account by 4 months. 

I tried going back to the Time Machine to see if I can access the missing files in Dropbox but to no avail. The Time Machine backup of Dropbox is just a shortcut! No Dropbox files were backed-up.

Has anybody experienced what I am encountering?

16 Replies 16

gokenchung
Explorer | Level 3

It says Dropbox 202.4.5551

Up to date

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Was it also up to date before performing the Time Machine rollback @gokenchung?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

gokenchung
Explorer | Level 3

I'm afraid I won't be able to tell you that Walter. I've never been asked to check that before. All I know is before the transfer of data, everything in Dropbox were fine.

BTW, some time ago, all the files in the Desktop Dropbox reside in the user's computer HDD and it syncs with Dropbox Cloud every time a change is made. Why is it that the files are no longer residence in the local HDD?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Are you referring to the update to the Dropbox for Mac OS on File Provider perhaps @gokenchung

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

gokenchung
Explorer | Level 3

Clicked on the "File Provider" revealed that I can choose to store files online only or available offline. I have chosen to store files offline on my hard drive.

However, that doesn't solve my urgent problem. Is it possible for me to authorise a "superuser" in the Dropbox tech department to log on to my account and help me restore the lost files from Feb to June 2024?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid having someone access your computer is not possible, @gokenchung.

Did you get a chance to look through the version history we discussed?

I saw you had an issue with the steps; step #2 is to hover over the name of a file in your "all files" page, for the "..." (ellipsis) button to appear on the right.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

gokenchung
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Hannah,

Can you please explain why it is not possible to invite a senior IT staff of Dropbox to help me with restoring lost files? I have tried and followed suggestions and instructions to recover but to no avail. I also managed to follow your instruction to try to restore to previous version and there's nothing there for the months of Feb - June 2024 except for the news ones that I re-created and stored there. For all the other folders where I have not done anything, files are still missing for those months I mentioned.

I am at my wits' end and I believe only experts from Dropbox can help me. Please take my case to your superior officer. I trust the integrity of the staff at Dropbox and I will absorb them of any liability in case they are concerned about that.

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gokenchung Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?