cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Migrating from Mac to Mac using Migration Tool

Migrating from Mac to Mac using Migration Tool

BG Mahesh
Explorer | Level 3

Greetings,

MacBook Pro (old machine): OS 12.6.5

MacBook Air (new machine): OS 13.3.1

1. I have been using Dropbox to backup my files on my MacBook Pro, all my files are online and only the ones I use is made available offline

2. I used "Migrant Assistant" to migrate to a new MacBook Air, so the folders & files in Documents, Downloads, Desktop are seen on my new Mac.

3. I am unable to setup Dropbox on my new MacBook Air. I get the error from Dropbox App which says "cannot setup the folders" (Desktop, Downloads, Documents)

For eg it is asking me to move "Move Desktop folder to its original location, then try again

4. When I click on the Dropbox icon on the toolbar, it says "Upgrade to the latest version of dropbox", but I had downloaded the app just then on MacBook air.

I don't know what to do. Please advise.

regards,

Mahesh

24 Replies 24

BG Mahesh
Explorer | Level 3

To summarize,

1. I care only about my FOLDERS to be backed up. I don't want my Computer to backup as I can always get a new system, new OS and just restore backup

2. In view of this, do I disable backup in Old Machine

3. Initiate Mac Migration from Old mac to New Mac

4. Once Migration is done, when I login to dropbox on new Mac, theoritically everything should work, am I right?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @BG Mahesh.

If you don't really care about backing up the computer files on your new machine and only want your Dropbox files to be available on it, Dropbox-wise, you can simply install the Dropbox app on the new machine, sign into your account and the app itself will sync your files; no migration needed.

But if you're going to go through with the migration anyway, to ensure that Dropbox works correctly on the new machine, you'll need to do what Jay mentioned above, which is to disable backup on the old machine and then sign out of the Dropbox application on it, before going through with the migration.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 10

I had asked a similar question in a separate thread. If I understand the guidance you're giving @BG Mahesh properly, it's a bit different from the guidance I think I received.

I'm not using Dropbox Backup at all--just the standard Dropbox folder functionality (using the new CloudStorage setup). Soon I'm going to want to use the Apple Migration Assistant to set up a new Mac. After that I'll want to be syncing both old and new Mac Dropbox folders to my Dropbox account.

I take it from what you've said that I can do the following:

1) Sign out of Dropbox on the old Mac.

2) Run the Apple Migration Assistant.

3) Sign into Dropbox on both old and new Macs. Each will recognize the CloudStorage/Dropbox folder and sync the files there with their equivalents in my Dropbox account.

Is the above correct?

I believe the guidance I received previously was that, in addition to signing out of Dropbox, I WOULD NEED TO DELETE MY DROPBOX FOLDER AND THEN LET IT BE REBUILT BY THE DROPBOX SETUP PROCESS and have all content re-downloaded from my Dropbox account. That's because with the new CloudStorage setup, if there was already a CloudStorage/Dropbox folder in place, the Dropbox setup process would freak out and refuse to work. This would obviously be a major hassle. Can you confirm it's incorrect?

Thanks.

BG Mahesh
Explorer | Level 3

The migration failed after many hours. Not sure why

Anyway, on the old machine if I want to activate backup again, I need to go to Preferences, Backups, Manage Backup and activate backup again?

BG Mahesh
Explorer | Level 3

On the new Mac, since Dropbox app is still there, is it best I

1. uninstall Dropbox on my new Mac

2. Install Dropbox on new Mac

3. And will the files get restored to new Mac automatically or do I need to do something special in Dropbox->Preferences?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BG Mahesh, if you want to reactivate the backup feature on the old machine, you can do so in the Preferences. Installing the app on the new Mac will sync any files from this page onto the new Mac. Bear in mind that the computer backup files from the old machine won't appear on the new machine.

@fssbob, we do recommend not migrating the Dropbox folder to the new computer, if it's possible to exclude it during the process, to prevent any permissions issues. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 10

@Jay It's not possible to exclude the Dropbox folder from the Apple migration process. Prior to the CloudStorage change this wasn't a problem--Dropbox would just reindex the folder on the new Mac.

Given that it's not possible to exclude the folder from the Apple migration process, what is your guidance?

(And are you certain there will be a permissions issue, given that it's an Apple process that presumably knows about duplicating permissions properly?)

If you can't use the standard Apple process because of Dropbox, this is potentially a HUGE issue for Mac owners.

Thanks.

BG Mahesh
Explorer | Level 3

I figured this a bit late, I may sound dumb, so be it - backup and sync are different

All I care about is syncing files.

- On my new Mac, I uninstalled Dropbox

- Installed dropbox, logged in

- All files got downloaded to my new Mac

- The only thing I don't like is that the Dropbox location is hardcoded now to /users/myname/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox - and I cannot find this Dropbox folder easily in Mac Finder, it seems to be hidden. The only way I can reach this folder is by searching for a folder inside Dropbox. 

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 10

@BG Mahesh There are a number of ways to get to it more easily. One is to click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, and then click on the folder icon in the dropdown that appears. You can also enable "Cloud Storage" in Finder Settings / Sidebar.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

@fssbob, as you can't exclude folders during the migration, the safest option to prevent permission and syncing issues would be, on the old machine, to disable any computer backup, sign out of the Dropbox desktop application, delete the Dropbox folder, and then progress with migration to the new machine.

When you then sign in on the new device, the files would resync from the Dropbox site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?