cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to choose which account a folder shared with me will go to?

Is there a way to choose which account a folder shared with me will go to?

LaMair
Explorer | Level 4

I have two accounts, a business account owned by someone else, and a personal account owned by me. When I have a client who shares a Dropbox folder with me, it ALWAYS goes into the business account. I asked them to resend the share link to the email address associated with my personal account, and it still went to the business account. That's NOT ok. It's NOT business, and that account is shared with others who shouldn't see this.  I searched and found there's a way to move it between accounts, but the instructions aren't complete. It says I have to create a shared folder in the account I want it to be in and "invite the other account to share the folder"  HOW do you do that? I tried the name of the account, my email, all kinds of things but none of them resulted in inviting my business account to share the folder in my personal account. WTF? This would be so simple if it just asked you which account to add the new folder to

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @LaMair - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you clarify if you're doing this from the business account or your personal one?

A screenshot of what's troubling you would also help!

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LaMair
Explorer | Level 4

I don't know if a screenshot would help explain this. Here's what happens: 1. I get an email, via dropbox, from someone inviting me to a shared folder. 2) I click the link and the folder is automatically added to the business account that I'm a member of, but not owner of. 

At no point is there an option to choose which account to add the folder to. It does this even when the email invitation is sent to the email address linked with my personal dropbox account. (There's nothing to screenshot unless you want a shot of the email I got, which doesn't show the problem)

I read the instructions on how to move a folder from one account to the other, but I can't make it work--as described in my first message.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox will auto add it to the account you are signed in to. 

The only workaround I can think on this one is to copy the link to an incognito window while logged in to the personal account you wish to use. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LaMair
Explorer | Level 4

Hmmm. That doesn't seem likely, as I almost never log into the Business account. Like 3x a year. But I'll try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LaMair Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?