cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see a grey X next to my Windows files and they can't be opened after disabling computer backup

I see a grey X next to my Windows files and they can't be opened after disabling computer backup

__sarah__
Explorer | Level 4

Hello! I used to use the backup feature of Dropbox for my computer. Notably, this included my Documents folder (on Windows 10). At some point I turned off the backup feature because I thought I didn't need it any more. I thought this would stop the integration with my computer gracefully, but it seems that now many of my files in my Documents folder are no longer accessible, as if they were made online-only (but there is no longer an online version backing them). Some screenshots attached. The problem files appear with a grey X on the bottom left of the icon. If I try to open them, I get failure and an error message sometimes depending on the program trying to open it. I do not have OneDrive, which is the usual cause I see online for the grey Xs.

How can I get my files working again?

grey Xs on files that cannot be openedgrey Xs on files that cannot be openedgrey Xs on files that cannot be openedgrey Xs on files that cannot be openedwhat happens if I try to open a text file with an X using notepad++what happens if I try to open a text file with an X using notepad++what happens if I try to open a text file with an X using notepad++what happens if I try to open a text file with an X using notepad++

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @__sarah__, sorry to hear you’re having this issue.

As mentioned here, the grey X icon you’re seeing is a Windows icon and not a Dropbox one. However, it usually indicates there’s a syncing issue between the file and Dropbox. 

When you disabled computer backup, did you follow these steps? If yes, was your Dropbox app up to date at the moment, or was it still syncing your backups/updates?

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see here?

Keep me updated.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

__sarah__
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Nancy, thank you for taking a look at my post.

I was not aware of this article when I turned off backup, but I think what I did was similar. I believe that I did it through my browser instead of the desktop app. I remember deleting the backup when I wanted to turn the backing up off. (Perhaps it was required to turn it off? I don't recall.) I do not recall being faced with a choice like "5. Click Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac or Leave content in Dropbox" and if I was what I might have chosen. 

Here is a screenshot of the requested link

requested screenshotrequested screenshot

aside: I perceive "backup" as meaning copying my files to the cloud but not removing them from the original machine, as opposed to "sync" which I would interpret as possibly making files online-only. If this is a misinterpretation of the product then I am a bit worried.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @__sarah__  - do you happen to be running any 3rd party apps like One Drive, for example?

Also, have you tried copying or moving those files to another location on your computer to see if the issue persists? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

__sarah__
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter. As stated in my original post, I do not have One Drive. I have indeed tried copying the files, and the copy fails. Here is a screenshot.

file copying failure on file with grey Xfile copying failure on file with grey X

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @__sarah__, how about moving one of the files, instead of copying it? Does that make any difference?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

__sarah__
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah. Moving the files seems to work without issue.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks @__sarah__!

And if they're moved to a different location, are you able to open them? Do they keep the gray X?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

__sarah__
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Hannah. No, they remain unopenable and with the grey X.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, @__sarah__, can you please check and let me know if the folder these files are in, is an actual folder or perhaps an alias/shortcut to the folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    __sarah__ Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?