cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to have a unique file path. How do I achieve that?

I need to have a unique file path. How do I achieve that?

hillmw6612
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm looking for a dropbox location like:

//computerName/shareName/directoryName/

everything I have seen shows the dropbox like http://www.dropbox.com/sh/..........

Thanks for your help.

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hillmw6612 wrote:

So we would like to have an address like: //computerName/shareName/directoryName/ so its not discrete for each user to embed into the application.

That's not possible by default as every user will have their Dropbox folder located in a different location, typically within their user profile, and there is no variable set which includes that location.

The path to their folder is stored in a JSON file within their user profile. On Windows, it would be C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Dropbox\info.json, so you could pull that information programmatically for each user.

The Dropbox folder is also not shared so there is no UNC path to it, though I suppose there's nothing stopping you from sharing it for each user. If you take that route, make sure you set the security correctly so you're not giving other people access.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hillmw6612 wrote:

I'm looking for a dropbox location like: //computerName/shareName/directoryName/

everything I have seen shows the dropbox like http://www.dropbox.com/sh/..........

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to accomplish? By default, a person's local Dropbox folder is stored in their user profile on their computer, such as C:\Users\[username]\Dropbox on a Windows computer, though it doesn't have to be stored there. The HTTP link you posted is what gets generated by a shared link.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

hillmw6612
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich,

Here is the why ...

Inside our application we write to this location. But another user on another computer using the application also writes to this location.

So we would like to have an address like: //computerName/shareName/directoryName/ so its not discrete for each user to embed into the application.

Mike

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hillmw6612, thanks for posting here!

It's not entirely clear to me, if you wish for the computer path to change, or the website path itself. Can you clarify? 

Do you use a shared folder, or a shared link on your end? If you also want to walk me through the process you follow, and what you wish to achieve, I'd appreciate it. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

hillmw6612
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Megan,

The dropbox location is like:  http://www.dropbox.com/sh/..........

but in my app I need a location like: //computerName/shareName/directoryName/

Is this possible to get?

Mike

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@hillmw6612 wrote:

That's not possible by default as every user will have their Dropbox folder located in a different location, typically within their user profile, and there is no variable set which includes that location.

The path to their folder is stored in a JSON file within their user profile. On Windows, it would be C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Dropbox\info.json, so you could pull that information programmatically for each user.

The Dropbox folder is also not shared so there is no UNC path to it, though I suppose there's nothing stopping you from sharing it for each user. If you take that route, make sure you set the security correctly so you're not giving other people access.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    hillmw6612 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?