cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Space issues when trying to upload content on a link my client gave me.

I'm amazed that anyone can use dropbox

timmylee
Explorer | Level 3

A client sent a link to upload/share about 1.3 GB of photos.  Supposedly all I had to do was click the button and upload.  Not so.  It wanted me to create an account which is where the problem started.  I created an account, uploaded my files but realized it was not the folder I was supposed to be uploading to.  So I went back to the email and clicked the link again. then it opened the folder I was looking for.  I started uploading and it stopped me about half way and said I was out of space.  I deleted my account and went back and tried again but logging in was a problem.  It said I was trying to log in as removed and I but I was logged in as removed Made no sense to me either. I just wanted to share some files as instructed and was unable to accomplish this, so I called and asked if I could upload the files to another service which was easy and effective.  I have no idea how anyone can use this service, which is why I gave up on it a LONG time ago.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @timmylee, I'd be more than happy to help!

If this is still an issue on your end, I'd be more than happy to guide you.

From what I understood, it sounds like your client sent you a shared folder, which was then added to your account, is that correct? 

If you have a screenshot of the exact error when you tried logging into the account, I'd love to have a visual of this. 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

timmylee
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure, I don't know why it would add it to an account of mine.  (which I didn't even know I had... it was buried on my hard drive.) l I went through this a long time ago and thought I had deleted it all. There was no indication that dropbox was adding it to my account.  I wanted it to be totally separate and not effect anything but HIS account.  I don't plan on using it any more anyway, but thanks for the efford.  The only error I got was that my dropbox was full and I thoughtI was uploading it to HIS dropbox.  I never liked the way this worked.  I currently upload my stuff to another service and share it.... it's not on my hard drive.

Rich
Super User II

@timmylee wrote:

I don't know why it would add it to an account of mine.

It was added to your account because that's how it was shared with you.

It doesn't sound like you were sent a simple link to upload files (that would be called a File Request). Instead it sounds like you were invited to join a shared folder, which requires an account and takes up space in your account.

timmylee
Explorer | Level 3

Apparently, it says "here's a link to a dropbox folder where you can upload pictures from your collection for our national office".  It wasn't obvious that I needed an account or would access my old account which I thought was inactive, because I created a new account with a new email and log in.  But, it apparently still combined it with my old one I guess. Much too confusing and complicated for my purpose and not the expected nor desired result.  Thanks

Rich
Super User II

@timmylee wrote:

Apparently, it says "here's a link to a dropbox folder where you can upload pictures from your collection for our national office".

That would have been the message entered by your client, and not a message from Dropbox.

timmylee
Explorer | Level 3

My constituents, like me, discovered that Dropbox does not quite fulfill the needs we had anticipated. They simply wanted a location for me to upload photos to share with them (or keep) for future use.  We did not intend or need the pictures to remain on and take up space on two different locations. The files just need to be located one service where both parties can access them, not devote identical storage space. It's hard for me to comprehend why anyone would need a service that requires double occupancy.

Mark
Super User II

@timmylee wrote:

The files just need to be located one service where both parties can access them, not devote identical storage space. It's hard for me to comprehend why anyone would need a service that requires double occupancy.

So instead of using shared folders which are intended to be used for where editing rights are necessary use a shared link and people can view them on the Dropbox website instead. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Roga41
Dropbox Staff

Hi there Timmy, Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It seems like you have been shared a folder in which you are allowed to edit or add contents in such a way that the sender will have to send you an invitation to join a shared folder to your Dropbox associated email, thus it is needing you to log in to your Dropbox account. There is another way of collecting files from the recipient that don't require you to be a Dropbox user, and that is through File Request option in which the sender sends you a link that doesn't need for you to sign up for an account as you will only see an upload button for you to upload your files and that's it. As what our colleague mentioned in the earlier posts, it really depends on the way the sender sends . You can inform the sender to either just send you the link that let's you upload files without having to have a Dropbox account. You can forward this link to them for steps: https://help.dropbox.com/share/create-file-request Hope this helps. 

Need more support?