cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I have edit permissions on some folders but I'm getting an error editing or renaming files

I have edit permissions on some folders but I'm getting an error editing or renaming files

guthrie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a set of folders which were shared with me. The owner gave me edit permissions, and tried to give me all possible permissions - but I cannot edit or rename or change any of the files.

From the Dropbox web interface, asking permissions, it shows two things -

1) You don't have permission to manage the membership of this file,

2) (my email ID) = can edit

So it seems like I should be able to edit or rename the file(s), but I cannot.

The original (sharing) owner is also shown.

But - Trying to rename one of the files on Windows from the explorer interface fails;

"You need permission from myComputer\myName to perform this action"

But, that is who I am logged in as, and it has admin privileges.

Same for trying to duplicate it in place or create a new file there;

"Destination Folder access denied, you need permission to perform this action."

I can read or open or copy the file to any other place outside of the shared hierarchy.

Asking Windows about permissions on the file, it shows I so have full permissions.

Asking about my specific user ID (as above) for effective permissions:

It does show I can read files and change permissions, take ownership, and read and write attributes, but not create files or write data (?)

What permissions do the owner who is sharing it with me need to set, and how?

(I could not get insert image to work here...)

21 Replies 21

guthrie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hmm,

I think a possible (obvious?) issue is that the permissions granted for full access are not to the same ID as my Dropbox login. I'll try to change that with the owner, and report back.

guthrie
Helpful | Level 5

The owner went through all of the shared ID names and again indicated edit permissions, and then it worked.

Not sure what the issue was, but seems resolved - sorry for all the trouble, thanks for all the suggestions.

Need more support?