cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I cannot access a shared folder anymore. Link is broken.

I cannot access a shared folder anymore. Link is broken.

CandiceY
Explorer | Level 4

Please help!

I've had access to a folder shared with me for years, but all of a sudden, when I click to view the contents of the folder, it says that the link is broken.

No changes have been made by the owner of the folder and all other members don't have any issues. Same issue on laptop and mobile device.

This is a very large folder, so it isn't added to my Dropbox, but I've had access to view the contents all along. This is an important folder that I need to access for work. Please assist.

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CandiceY, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned the error "link is broken", so I'm guessing you're talking about a folder that's been shared with you as a shared link, is that right? If not, then feel free to correct me. 

Have you tried accessing the shared link using a different browser? Although since this happened on both your laptop, and mobile I think it's consistent.

Can you send me a screenshot of the precise error, please? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mark
Super User II

What exactly is the error @CandiceY ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

CandiceY
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Correct, it's a folder that has been shared with me.

This is the screenshot on Chrome browser:

CandiceY_0-1692874766450.png

CandiceY
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,

It just says that the link "isn't quite right" on Chrome as well as Microsoft Edge.

On my phone, the app notified me of the shared folder (as a new link was sent to me again) and when I clicked on the link, it said "link does not exist"

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CandiceY, thanks for the info! 

It seems the shared link has either been removed by the owner, or the folder in said link could have been moved.

In any case, you'd need to contact the person that created the link, and check with them for more info. You mentioned that the owner doesn't have any issues. 

Can they possibly send you a new link to the folder then?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

CandiceY
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan

The owner of the folder hasn't moved or changed a thing. And he sent me 2 new links today, with the same result on both links.

I've had to upgrade to be able to view the content. So I was basically forced to upgrade, even though it had been working all along, until today.

KenDotsey
New member | Level 2

Good luck They get bored and fool around with these services and next thing you know what used to be is no more I had a shared folder with a friend for 15 years now and all of a sudden I sign in to dropbox and everything has changed and no more shared folder

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CandiceY, is it possible that they sent you direct access to the shared folder, hence why you had to upgrade? 

In order for you to add the folder to your account, or even view it directly, -provided it was a shared folder, and not a shared link- you'd need extra storage.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?