cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't change ownership of a folder

I can't change ownership of a folder

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

This seems easy enough, but when I try to follow the instructions that say "click on the menu by the person you want to transfer ownership to. Choose "make owner"  - but there is no such option!

I don't even know why someone made me owner from the beginning - this folder just eats my space and I have no connection to the project that the folder is for. But I don't want to delete it, as someone might have use for this content. I don't wish to be mean. I just don't want to be the owner (or even a member). 

I can't find any help about this and the stupid bot on Dropbox site is definitely of no help. I think it's irresponsible of Dropbox to let their members handle their support. Worthless service!

13 Replies 13

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

(For now, I've backe up all files from the shared folder on another space - just to get rid of the drop box stress e-mails. I will put them back as soon as I know how to remove myself from the folder and give access to someone who really needs the files.)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Okay, this image indicates that you're not using any quota at all. If the shared folder was on the account and taking up quota, the bar should be filled with a pale blue color. 

Are you 100% certain this is the same account that you're getting emails about? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

Yes, as I mentioned in a previoius post, I've temporarely removed the files (they're now on another cloud solution), but they're not my files so I'll put them back as soon as I know how to get rid of the ownership of the folder. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @OverTheLimit, sorry to jump in here.

Would you mind checking this page to see if your Dropbox email address is exactly the same as the one you see in the members of the shared folder?

If it is, can we send you an email, so we can investigate this further?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    OverTheLimit New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?