cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I can't change ownership of a folder

I can't change ownership of a folder

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

This seems easy enough, but when I try to follow the instructions that say "click on the menu by the person you want to transfer ownership to. Choose "make owner"  - but there is no such option!

I don't even know why someone made me owner from the beginning - this folder just eats my space and I have no connection to the project that the folder is for. But I don't want to delete it, as someone might have use for this content. I don't wish to be mean. I just don't want to be the owner (or even a member). 

I can't find any help about this and the stupid bot on Dropbox site is definitely of no help. I think it's irresponsible of Dropbox to let their members handle their support. Worthless service!

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @OverTheLimit, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify what options you're seeing when viewing the shared folder options on the site?

A screenshot of this, while hiding the names and email addresses, would help greatly!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

It's in Swedish, though. Translation below the screenshot.

Skärmavbild 2023-09-28 kl. 14.58.27.png

Translation: 

<- Back

Access to XXXX

Persons (Links)

[person 1]  Owner

[person 2]  Can edit/Can View/Delete

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

I can also add that I've tried this maneuver in every interface I could get access to: Via the web, desktop app (for Mac, unfortunately) and through Finder. And in none of them the option of "Make owner" appears.

I've also tried resending an invite to the other team member with access to the shared folder in question, to see if this somehow would trigger something in his user account, turning him into a possible owner (if this is somehow lacking from his current access level). I'm grasping for straws here... 

Dropbow keep sending me messages about being out of space - but the content in this folder (that I'm trying to get out of) isn't even my content. I shouldn't have access to it, let alone ownership over it.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are you on a Dropbox Business team, or are they on a team?

What is your current quota according to this page? Have you tried just leaving the shared folder temporarily, which would free up the quota on your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

I can't seem to leave, and that might be because I'm currently set to be the owner of the folder. 
No idea about the team thing. How do I check If I'm in a team (in regards to this folder) or not?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You can see on the quota page I linked previously what plan you're on, and if you are part of a team.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

Basic plan, and I can't see anything about any team. (I started quitting teams when I got these emails about being over my quota, as I didn't want team folders to "eat up" space from me.)

Thanks for trying to help, btw. I've been very frustrated about this. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is the other user on a Dropbox Business team by any chance? How much quota are you using on your account from the plan page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

OverTheLimit
New member | Level 2

Hm, I have no idea what kind of plan he's on. 

I'm not using up any of the space I have access to on my personal account:

Skärmavbild 2023-09-29 kl. 14.42.39.png

So the only reason that I'm getting these stressful e-mails about exceeding my quota is this shared folder (that I don't want). 

Need more support?