cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move files from one Dropbox account to another?

How to move files from one Dropbox account to another?

Alice123
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help.
I have all my files and folders on my ex partner's Dropbox account, and I'm trying to move everything to my own Dropbox so that he can delete them from his.

I've been downloading the folders to my laptop and trying to upload them back to my account but it's confusing, some folders won't open, some just won't work properly, some have only part downloaded and I've got so many files and folders it's just getting confusing as to what's been downloaded and what hasn't.

I've shared the folder with my own account and set up a differerent folder to copy all my files into but even after copying them, it's still saying my ex's account is the owner.

Can anyone help me?! I'm a complete technophobe and need everything explained to me like a child but I need security that I can delete all the files from my ex's account and know that they'll be in mine!

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Alice123 wrote:
I've shared the folder with my own account and set up a differerent folder to copy all my files into but even after copying them, it's still saying my ex's account is the owner.

That is the best way to do it, a shared folder between accounts, but the next step would be to MOVE the files out of the shared folder and into another folder on your account. Moving them out of the shared folder will remove them from your ex partner's account. If you just copy them, the files will still exist in the shared folder for both you and your partner as well.

One thing to keep in mind, however, is that as the owner of the shared folder, your partner will have the ability to restore any files that were in the shared folder, even after you remove them. I would suggest that you make yourself the owner of the shared folder so that you can remove your partner's access after you've moved all of the files out of the folder.

Alice123
New member | Level 2
Hi Rich,

Thanks so much for your reply.
I've managed to sort it and it looks like the files have automatically left my ex's account and are now just in mine as I've made myself the owner of those folders.

Complete technophobe here so I always appreciate the help!

Many thanks,
Alice
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alice123 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?