cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move a large dropbox accound to another computer

How can I prevent the Dropbox app from re-syncing everything to my formatted device?

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I'm writing you because I will have to format my computer - due to corrupted system problems - and so the question of my dropbox is raising.

I have a video studio with collaborators and we have 45 terabytes of data online. I would like to know the best way to handle this, without loosing anyfile and without experiencing a infinite indexing ?

Maybe there is a way to copy only the directories ? Because I cannot copy 45 TB of data in harddrives to re-copy them again.

Thank you !

14 Replies 14

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

If you copy everything to an external drive as it is now, you’ll be basically copying fully downloaded files along with placeholders (this is what the online-only files are basically). 

So, if you copy them back inside your Dropbox folder later on, without having downloaded them first locally, then you risk syncing empty files back to your Dropbox account. This is why we don't suggest doing this.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Ah ok so Dropbox desktop understand online placeholder like empty entities if they are copy as it is? Good to know !

Ok so no way to copy the architecture.

Is that possible to install dropbox on the freshly format machine and say to dropbox desktop to only synch selected folders (and so be able to manually sync things gradually) ?

Rich
Super User II

@Lageole wrote:

Is that possible to install dropbox on the freshly format machine and say to dropbox desktop to only synch selected folders (and so be able to manually sync things gradually) ?

Yes. During the installation you have the option of selecting which folders will sync. I don't remember if it prompts you directly, or if you have to select Advanced Options after you sign in.

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Ok, so maybe the best solution for me is too manually and gradually sync by myself like 1TB every night haha

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

As I don't need all this data to work, I can sync first essentials things and then continue over the month

Need more support?