cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make sure only a specific user can access my shared link?

How can I make sure only a specific user can access my shared link?

DavidW1961
Explorer | Level 4

Is there a way to send a share link to a user who does not have a Dropbox account, but restrict the viewing to only that person?  In other words, I don't want to send the link with "Anyone with Link" setting, because I don't want them to forward the link to others.  I tried the "Only People Invited" option, and I added their email to the Shared List, but it keeps asking for them to create a Dropbox account when they try and view the file.  I must be doing something wrong, just not sure what.  Any help would be apprecitated.

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@DavidW1961 wrote:

Is there a way to send a share link to a user who does not have a Dropbox account, but restrict the viewing to only that person?

No, not really. The only way for Dropbox to be certain that someone is who they say is for them to have an account and sign in as that account. How else would Dropbox know, with (reasonable) certainty, that the person clicking the link is the person you intended it for?

You can set a password on the link if that option is available to you, but there's nothing preventing someone from sharing the password along with the link.

If you want to share to a specific person, and only that person, they'll need an account.

DavidW1961
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Rich,

Great,  thanks for the quick reply.  I figured that might be the case, but wanted to check to make sure.  Thanks...!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DavidW1961 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?