cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I limit a shared link so the receiver can only download the file and not share it?

How can I limit a shared link so the receiver can only download the file and not share it?

skillfusion
Helpful | Level 5

When I upload a file, it creates a sharable link.  When I send that link to someone, how do I limit them to 'download only' and not be able to share the file with others or edit it?  Garry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

skillfusion
Helpful | Level 5

Jason, thank you for adding to Jays response.  I appreciate the information. 😀 Garry

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @skillfusion, thanks for messaging the Community.

In general, it wouldn't really be possible to prevent a user to only download the file, since the shared link is just a normal URL for the browser which anyone can access. 

Even if there was a method for them to download the file on its own, there wouldn't be anything you could do to prevent them from sharing the file itself via email or another method to another person.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

@skillfusion I'd like to add a bit more color to our sharing capabilities.  You have a couple options with caveats to share so others cannot edit or reshare.  

Preventing File Editing

To prevent recipients from editing, create and share a view only link.  Recipients will only be able to access a web preview of the content and will be able to download from there.

Preventing Re-sharing With Others

Preventing re-sharing requires you to invite recipients as view members directly to the content you're sharing via their email.  This requires recipients to login and have a Dropbox account.  This is how Dropbox verifies only those invited are able to access your content.  You can also further share links with these invited members by creating a view link and setting the link audience to "only those invited".  

Otherwise, Jay's response is 100% correct.  Hope this helps!

You can read more detail in these help center articles: 

1. https://help.dropbox.com/share/share-outside-dropbox
  2. https://help.dropbox.com/share/create-and-share-link

skillfusion
Helpful | Level 5

Jay, thank you so much for your response.  I appreciate it.  Garry

skillfusion
Helpful | Level 5

Jason, thank you for adding to Jays response.  I appreciate the information. 😀 Garry

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

skillfusion Helpful | Level 5
    JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?