cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Having problems syncing with File Provider on Mac OS

Having problems syncing with File Provider on Mac OS

-caffeinated-
Helpful | Level 5

Ok this thing just never seems to work anymore. I've updated to the new File Provider system, hoping to alleviate some of the pain of using Dropbox on MacOS (I use Ableton a lot and supposedly synced files often, although randomly, end up missing or displaying as 'zero bytes'). Now I've updated to the new File Provide system things are either stuck syncing for literally days, or they magically complete syncing, and then I drag a file in from my hard drive and we're back to syncing forever. It has every firewall exception it needs and full access to my hard drive. 

I get that Apple have changed the ways files are accessed by apps a while back, but it shouldn't be this hard!

35 Replies 35

-caffeinated-
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, 

Yes, the .asd file is an analysis file (created by Ableton) but this has uploaded/synced just fine. My problem is that the .wav file (also created by Ableton in the same export) does not upload/sync. 

Thanks,

Walter
Dropbox Staff

So you're not seeing it on the website if you navigate the file's path @-caffeinated- ?

If you rename the file, does it improve the matters at all perhaps? What options are you getting when you right click on the file? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

-caffeinated-
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter, 

I'm afraid I'm seeing the same on dropbox.com as well as the iOS app: the smaller analysis file synced while the larger WAV file did not. Right-clicking offers none of the expected dropbox options.

Renaming the file actually does cause it to sync, but this isn't a long-term solution. 

Thanks

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @-caffeinated-! So, to clarify, is this only happening with files that are generated by Ableton? 

I’d also like you to right click on your local Dropbox folder, go to "Get info", and send me a screenshot of the next window you’ll get. I just want to make sure the app isn't syncing more than 300k files in general, which can cause performance issues from time to time.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

-caffeinated-
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Nancy, 

That's right- WAVs exported by Ableton don't seem to sync (I have replicated this) whereas the smaller .asd files do sync. Likewise, dragging in other file types (e.g. PDFs) also sync. I have approx 200k files in DB:

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 14.03.30.png

Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info here, @-caffeinated-, and apologies for the delay.

Can we actually reach out to you via email, so we can take a closer look into this?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

-caffeinated-
Helpful | Level 5

Yep of course, thanks. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

You’re all set, @-caffeinated-! Don’t forget to reply back to my email, when you get the chance. 

Cheers.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

FesT
Helpful | Level 7

Hi,
seems like I have the same issue, since I updated to the new File Provider System sometimes the Dropbox seems just to be lazy. The Internet is working, the status says its syncing, but it is not doing anything. The only thing what helps ist quit dropox and restart it again. I am using 200.4.7134
Is there any solution for this issue?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @FesT - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you let us know your computer's OS version and under which circumstances you notice this issue?

Have you tried logging out of your account and back in through the app's preferences or reinstalling the app since you first noticed this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?