cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free account - is this possible - file sharing and access

Free account - is this possible - file sharing and access

Caren43893
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, Sorry if these is a really obvious question but I'm confused and would really value some help please.

I'm a manager for a small local voluntary / charity group which produces a short local magazine, and I need to share four folders with everyone, four or max five people. I have made a free Dropbox account and will administrate it, but I have questions, and am wondering if I need to pay for a different account. I won't get this reimbursed so am hoping we can do it on the free one!

In the free account I have placed one main file, and there are four subfiles inside it.

1. Would I be able to invite 4 or 5 people as editors (possibly viewers only) to the folders, so that everyone can see and edit spreadsheets (largest about 250kb)?
  2. If so will they be able to see updated versions when other people put them in?
  3. Will they be able to put in pdfs of the magazine - the last one was 5.51 mbs. We will have some images but I will just keep those off the dropbox in my own storage. 
  4. Some of them know Dropbox and some don't. Will they need to download Dropbox to use shared files or can they just view them on the net?
  5. If I invite everyone to the main file I created, do I need to invite them all to the subfiles as well?

Thanks for your help! Caren

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Welcome @Caren43893 !

1) Yes they will 🙂 As long as they have enough space on their account they will be fine. 

2) Yes. Thats how shared folders work - as long as they go to the web to get the updated files, or, have Dropbox running on a computer the changes will sync down to it.

3) They can add any file, at all, in to the share which will sync with everybody in that folder as long as they have enough quota - and everybody else does to get the files as well (or it wont download for them). 

4) They will need an account and can either use the website or the software.

5) They will auto get shared access to sub folders of the directory you share. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Welcome @Caren43893 !

1) Yes they will 🙂 As long as they have enough space on their account they will be fine. 

2) Yes. Thats how shared folders work - as long as they go to the web to get the updated files, or, have Dropbox running on a computer the changes will sync down to it.

3) They can add any file, at all, in to the share which will sync with everybody in that folder as long as they have enough quota - and everybody else does to get the files as well (or it wont download for them). 

4) They will need an account and can either use the website or the software.

5) They will auto get shared access to sub folders of the directory you share. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Caren43893 wrote:

In the free account I have placed one main file, and there are four subfiles inside it.

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes.
  4. They can just use the Dropbox website if they don't want to install the application.
  5. No. Whatever access they have to the main folder, they will have for all subfolders.

Caren43893
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Great, thank you, that's really helpful. So it looks like I need to get them all to sign up for a free account with Dropbox as well, ideally using the same email i have for them already , is that right?

Caren43893
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you - really helpful to know

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Caren43893 wrote:

Great, thank you, that's really helpful. So it looks like I need to get them all to sign up for a free account with Dropbox as well, ideally using the same email i have for them already , is that right?

Yes, although you may find it easier to ask if they have an account already - many will. Some may even have paid ones 🙂

If they do use that one for the invite even if its not you usual one

Caren43893
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you! I reckon i'm sorted; I will go and invite them all. Have a good eve/day

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Caren43893 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?