cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Direct downloads issues (raw=1) and shared links won't work for hosting.

Force render issues (raw=1) and shared links won't work for hosting.

aRealHumanBartender
Helpful | Level 6

images were perfect on all browsers until yesterday afternoon - what is the fix or is this a dropbox issue?

117 Replies 117

Mark
Super User II

@Photo O. wrote:

You have one very, very angry customer here!!

Please, please take this as a lesson to NOT use Dropbox for things its not intended for - i.e. a hosting service. It simply isnt designed for this and any hosting applications have almost worked 'by accident' rather than intentional. This is not the first, second or even third time this has happened and I can pretty much guarantee it will happen again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rossorio
Helpful | Level 5

Changing "https://www.dropbox.com" to "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com" on every single image should make them work again. I did so with a script for more than 500 audios a while ago and everything is back to normal.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Mark wrote:

... any hosting applications have almost worked 'by accident' rather than intentional. ...

Hm...🤔 Strange! In such a case there is some documentation, describing embedding, existing almost 'by accident' as seems. 😀

Warden
Explorer | Level 4
> Please, please take this as a lesson to NOT use Dropbox for things its not intended for - i.e. a hosting service. It simply isnt designed for this and any hosting applications have almost worked 'by accident' rather than intentional. <

Except that using raw=1 is documented. It's designed to serve just the file (via an HTTP 302 redirect). Currently that's broken because it's an HTML redirect.

https://help.dropbox.com/share/force-download

“To bypass the preview page and allow your browser to directly render your files, use raw=1 as a query parameter in your URL”

lisadbx
Dropbox Engineer

We are rolling out a fix for issues with raw=1 and dl=1 links that started recently. Please try again and let us know if it's still not working. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@lisadbx wrote:

We are rolling out a fix for issues with raw=1 and dl=1 links that started recently. Please try again and let us know if it's still not working. 

Hi @lisadbx,

Almost, but not exactly! You have fixed the HTML redirection, but the other addition is still there! What about CORS?! 😉

Hope this will be fixed too.

torvat-ITA
Explorer | Level 4
Ok, an accident that worked very well. It is a legitimate action. Just like leaving Dropbox. It is OK...

De L.1
Collaborator | Level 9

My www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/....?raw=1 urls seem to be working again for a few minutes now. Both images and PDF files.
Did Dropbox reverse the change?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

They started (HTML redirect fixed), but still not embeddable - CORS.

De L.1
Collaborator | Level 9

@Здравко Interesting, I don't have any CORS issues with ?raw=1 urls. I tested JPG, MP4, MP3 and PDF file formats embedded directly into a page using iFrame inChrome, Edge and FireFox.
Perhaps you have a different use case?

Need more support?