cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not syncing from my Surface

Files not syncing from my Surface

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

I saved my most recent version of a manuscript on Monday, May 5th before going out of town. It is now May 8th, and the files are not showing up in my Dropbox account. The most recent version I'm seeing is May 2nd, and I know I've saved later versions.

I save the originals to Dropbox via my PC; I'm trying to get them from my Surface, but they're not there.

Thanks,

33 Replies 33

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks - I'll be home this weekend.

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

I am home now and can check my PC. The last file synced was May 2nd, yet I have saved files on my PC from May 3, 4, and 5. I have screenshots, but am not sure how your system lets me upload or attach them. It's asking for links, not uploads.

Rich
Super User II

@MountainGram wrote:

The last file synced was May 2nd, yet I have saved files on my PC from May 3, 4, and 5.

Is the Dropbox application running? If so, what does it show for its status when you hover your cursor over the icon in the system tray?

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

It must be running because I saved another document and it's in my Word files. I don't have a dropbox icon in my system tray.

Rich
Super User II

@MountainGram wrote:

I don't have a dropbox icon in my system tray.

Then Dropbox isn't running, and if it's not running it can't sync your files. That would explain why you're not seeing anything recent on Dropbox.com or your other devices.

Launch Dropbox from your Start menu and see if the icon appears in your system tray.

f5907eca0c1c2d791c4f5cdbff8e95b1.png

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I see it in the system tray, but nothing happens if I click it. It spins for a minute, then stops and doesn't open.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@MountainGram, if you right click on the Dropbox icon instead, do you see an option to open Dropbox in your system tray? Please click on it and let me know if you see the app's syncing status now.

If not, is there another option to quit/exit the Dropbox app? If yes, please do so and relaunch it from your Start menu > Programs. 

Let me know if that helps.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

I uninstalled Dropbox and reinstalled it. I'll see if that fixes the lack of syncing.

MountainGram
Helpful | Level 5

Everything seemed to be working but when I checked when I left town, I saw that my files hadn't synced in three days. I don't like having to check on my Surface, which I use for travel all the time.

But here I am again on June 6th and the last saved version of my document is June 1st. The whole idea of dropbox for me is to have the most recently saved version (from my PC usually) so I can work on it from my Surface when I travel.

Everything says my files are up to date, but they obviously are not.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Were you able to confirm that the Dropbox desktop application was running normally after clicking the icon in the system tray near the clock? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MountainGram Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    tiffanywalkEr Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?