cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Extremely slow uploads using browser

Extremely slow uploads using browser

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

Hey there. I currently use Dropbox for sharing files and upload my files mostly using the desktop app, which uses my full internet connection of 1Gbps, usually easy and no errors.

My main issue: Some of my peers also use dropbox and will send me upload requests and vice/versa. These apparently can only be done through a browser, at least I haven't found a way to use the app yet, which takes absolutely ages. I've tried using different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Opera) or different machines (Win11, Mac and a linux distro) and it will not change how fast it goes. Also this connection is frequently dropped and the uploader shows as if all the files are uploaded, but when checking we see that some files are missing, sometimes a lot, sometimes a few.

Is there a way to use the desktop app to share files with someone else's dropbox link? If not, is there are way to make the browser upload faster?

I use a few other services that require browser uploading (WeTransfer, Vimeo, Youtube, Pixieset, GoogleDrive) and Dropbox is the only one that is slow.

I just did a test of uploading 700 raw photos and it took the desktop app a little over 3 minutes while the browser still has over 45 minutes to go.

Thanks anyone for the help, I couldn't find anything anywhere about this, hopefully is fixable!

20 Replies 20

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

Update on my side, since I posted here asking for help I've bought a new computer and the problem continues. Usually takes 10-15x times longer to upload something to dropbox than other services. My connection is 1gbps up/down. I've tried the following browsers: Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @solisoli, thanks for the heads up! 

Are all your devices connected to the same network?

Have you run any speed tests, and if so, what were the results? 

Let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

skovfx
Explorer | Level 3

This is using Chrome (Version 122.0.6261.112). Also tried incognito with all extensions turned off.

I uploaded a 75GB (2992 files) folder via WeTransfer and that took almost 2 hours this morning.

My 130GB (6401 files) upload via Dropbox was started on Friday evening, ~4:30-5:00PM, and did not complete until Sunday 12:15AM.

When uploading directly to my account, multiple files are uploaded concurrently. A 1.4GB (66 files) folder uploaded in under a minute.

When uploading through a File Requests link, one file is uploaded at a time. The same 1.4GB folder took more than 2 minutes to upload.

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, they are connected through cable to the same network. My devices have a 2.5gbps network card. Here's the speed results: https://www.speedtest.net/result/15998628341

875mb download, 900mb upload.

I use other services such as google drive, we transfer and backblaze and none have issues with uploads speeds. Dropbox doesn't have issues with upload speeds when using the app to "sync" instead of going through the browser, but it's impossible to use the app to upload files to other requests.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@skovfx, the 130GB of files you mention, did you also try to upload them to a file request in one go? I’m asking because the maximum upload limit for file requests is 50GB (depending on the sender’s plan).

@solisoli, is it possible to test this with a different network as well, so that we can isolate the issue more? You can also connect to a different network on your mobile device, and check if uploading files via the mobile browser there makes any difference.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

I'm attempting now using my building's wifi and it's a lot slower here.

Saying 15830 minutes for 1120 files averaging 35mb, 29.9gb total. These are raw photo files.

Trying with my network it's giving me 2000-3000 minutes for it. I've attempted uploading the same files to wetransfer and google drive and both took around 25-30 minutes.

There's no specific firewall or port blocking on my networks either, if there's a specific one that needs to be opened for dropbox. This is the only service I have network issues with at the moment, every other cloud services work fine. B2, GDrive and Nextcloud. This only happens when I have to upload to dropbox using a browser.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey guys, thanks for all your patience! 

We might need to escalate your case, since we've exhausted all troubleshooting steps. Would you mind if I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

Sure thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @solisoli, I just sent you the email!

I'll see you there, cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

solisoli
Explorer | Level 3

This was never resolved by the way, dropbox is still the slowest cloud service I use.
I can upload 100gbs to wetransfer in around 110 minutes and it takes 3300 on dropbox.

Need more support?