cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive RAM usage while syncing large files

Excessive RAM usage while syncing large files

MikeB1971
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Folks,

I typically sync pretty large files (image backups) and these can be as much as 250 GB+ in size.

While syncing, I notice that Dropbox reserves a seriously huge amount of memory, like the mapped file usage for my uploading file of 280 GB is currently 16 GB (not a typo).

Can Dropbox maybe give feedback on this?

For me as a layperson, an upload is essentially much like an FTP copy (I do these all the time with files this big on the internal network here) and I really don't see why this should take so much RAM. The actual app is using around 600 MB, which is perfectly fine.

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @MikeB1971, I hope you're doing well!

Let's see what we can do about that. As a first step, can you clarify the OS you're using, along with the app's version, and syncing status

We need to ensure you're using a stable version, and a supported OS, and then proceed with the next steps. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MikeB1971
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Many thanks for the super-speedy reply!

Sure thing.

I'm on Windows 11, app version 186.4.6207 and my sync status is paused, more on that in sec.

About the sync status: I found that when I have syncing paused, memory usage drops to normal. At the moment it's about 40%, which is typical during a working day. But when syncing was on earlier, it rose to 90% or so. As said before, it is specifically the file being uploaded that causes this memory jump. If I use RAMMap, I can see that the Mapped File memory usage goes way up to something like 16 GB.

Perhaps this is just how things are on Windows or whatever, but it would be good to know that. I would then just leave syncing off during the day for (very) large files.

Thanks,

Mike

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MikeB1971, no problem at all! 

Would you mind sharing some screenshots with us too, in order for us to have visual?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    MikeB1971 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?