cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting malware warning on all files I try to share

Error: "We’ve interrupted your sharing activity because your files might contain phishing content."

boopbockxer
New member | Level 2

I can't share a file.  I am getting a message:

Can’t share file

Error in call to API function /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings: We’ve interrupted your sharing activity because your files might contain phishing content.

The file is not corrupt nor does it have any virus.  How to i generate a link to share?

4 Replies 4

Osmosis6056
New member | Level 2

As of today, 9/27/2024, no matter what file I try to get a share link for, whether .MOV, .MP4, .JPG, or even .TXT, they all give this warning:

Can’t share file

Error in call to API function /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings: We’ve interrupted your sharing activity because you tried to share a file that may contain malware. Check your email for instructions on how to resolve this.

I never receive any emails about it. I've tried in both Edge and Firefox on Windows 11. This is ridiculous! I can't share any file at all, even though none of them have malware. They're just text, images, and videos. It only got this restrictive today.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @boopbockxer & @Osmosis6056, thanks for posting here! 

It sounds like your shared links might have been banned. How long have you been getting this error?

Did you receive an email from Dropbox informing you about this perhaps?

Let me know more and we'll take it from there.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Osmosis6056
New member | Level 2

I received the error before on PDFs, I believe, but never on videos or images. It only started that day. I just tested it now and initially thought it was working because it displayed a dialog box to enter an email to share, but after adding an email and clicking Share File, I got the same error again. If I click Create and copy link, I get a similar error, "Error in call to API function /2/sharing/alpha/create_shared_link_with_settings:"

I never received any email from Dropbox like the error indicates. As it stands, Dropbox is nothing more than a file storage service since I can't share files with others.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Osmosis6056, can we log a ticket for you and further assist?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?