cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Videos broken with Error "Something went wrong." Any Video, any Browser

Error 500 when trying open shared links

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

Is this genuinely fixed? Now when I visit links to individual files—folders seem to work fine and these are not links I tried when the site was down—the file preview pops up as expected and then is almost immediately replaced by the error screen. I have cleared my cache multiple times, I have restarted Safari and I have had the same result 10 times in a row using different links.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 12.49.09 PM.png

60 Replies 60

spirit7
Explorer | Level 4

I am getting  this error while opening the shared file: "Don’t worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified"

don't know what to do

ghost23
New member | Level 2

I am also facing this same error message and it was not resolved by the steps you mentioned above in this thread.

OllieMi
Helpful | Level 5

Why am I getting this message

"Something went wrong. Don`t worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified...."

when I try to open link to an mp4 file, which used to work a few days ago? 

DanielleDelosSantos
Helpful | Level 5

DanielleDelosSantos_0-1716957986943.png

Currently working right now, and encountered another problem with Dropbox. Before it works perfectly every time I click the shared videos my client sends me but now, it is like this. What is the problem with this one? Can somebody from Dropbox explain this one or maybe there are some of you here in the community experienced the same. Let me know please. Thanks

Cooper88m
New member | Level 2

I'm also facing this error when trying to share files, specifically .mov.

It flashes the file preview and then shows the error message.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @OllieMi, thanks for messaging the Community!

Is this a shared link that you created from your account, or a shared link that someone else created?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

originalemanuel
Helpful | Level 5

Up until yesterday my videos played just fine. Whenever I want to watch Videos I have on Dropbox, I get this error and can't watch/download them:

"Something went wrong. Don`t worry, your files are still safe and the Dropbox team has been notified. Check out our Status Page to see if there is a known incident, our Help center and forums for help, or head back to home."

originalemanuel_0-1716968332518.png

I need that working for my work! What now? How do I contact the support? I am a paying customer.

Thanks!

Anglo Team
New member | Level 2

Same here, clicking on video files in a folder opens the file but then quickly turns to an error.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @originalemanuel & @Anglo Team - thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

Is this affecting all of your video files or just some? 

Could you please clear your browser's cache or try another browser, preferably with no extensions or plugins running and let us know if you still get the same results?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

originalemanuel
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

this happens to all videos. And up until 2 days ago, they were all still working fine. 

It does seem to work with Edge, but not with Chrome & Firefox. And Firefox is my main browser I use for work. 

The browsers are all updated and I am on Win11, just in case that is important. 

Clearing the cache did not work and even uninstalling and reinstalling the browsers did also not help. Problem is still there

Need more support?