cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 500 when trying open shared links

Error 500 when trying open shared links

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

Is this genuinely fixed? Now when I visit links to individual files—folders seem to work fine and these are not links I tried when the site was down—the file preview pops up as expected and then is almost immediately replaced by the error screen. I have cleared my cache multiple times, I have restarted Safari and I have had the same result 10 times in a row using different links.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 12.49.09 PM.png

60 Replies 60

Rich
Super User II

@Robertson_NC wrote:

Is this genuinely fixed?

That's a different issue separate from the error 500 earlier today. I've moved your post to the relevant thread. See Hannah's reply above.

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

Hannah's reply saying that it is a cache issue? As mentioned, I have cleared my cache multiple times, have restarted Safari and have been able to reproduce this multiple times using new links that were not tried while the site was down, meaning that errors for those links have no way of being cached.

ETA: I have now restarted my Mac as well. Still getting an image preview, replaced almost immediately by the error message.

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

Here is a screen recording:

Dropbox.gif

mattdoubleyoo
Explorer | Level 4

I'm still getting this error on all files sent to me, even after purging my browser cache. 

Any update on this? 

14purpose
New member | Level 2

I created a shared link to a video (mp4) file in my dropbox account.

no problem using the link if i am NOT signed-in to my account.  (that will often be the case since it is primarily for sharing)

but - if i am signed-in to my account, the share link i created results in a quick flash of the correct video file page, but then quickly a "something went wrong) message pops up.

this happens on chrome and brave on both Windows (PC) and macOS.

It seems fine via an iPhone.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Robertson_NC and @mattdoubleyoo. Have you tried different browsers, as well? 

The incident we had earlier today has been resolved by our team, so I’d like to investigate this further.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

@Nancy — My customers are reporting the same error when I send them single links. They are able to access folders, but not individual files.

mattdoubleyoo
Explorer | Level 4

Ive tried and it's working in safari, but still not working in chrome even after clearing the cache and restarting the computer. 

Robertson_NC
Helpful | Level 5

Mine is doing the opposite: I can access single links in Chrome, but not in Safari. I have cleared the cache a dozen times (via both key command and the Develop menu), restarted the app and restarted the computer. 

I can't speak for what browsers my customers are using but I would assume different ones on different platforms.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    jaydoubleyoo Explorer | Level 4
    originalemanuel Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    OllieMi Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?