cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

SarunasK
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Was aware of the end of public folder, however did not even think it will affect all our direct links. Dropbox, you made a huge mistake.. I will stop using dropbox and I hope many will do the same. Bye

villeev
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Unfortunately, same here... so frustrated and dissapointed..

bHogan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sorry if this has been covered. I've gone through all 500+ messages in the past, but right now I'm in a panic.

I'm a "basic" user and today I lost all links to dropbox files in my no longer "Public" folder. I thought I had a method to fix them (dl=1) but I found it only works on my machine. So ...

Is there a way to have public links from a web page (google sites) that don't take the user to the dropbox site?

The dl=1 thing works but only on my machines apparently. I saw something about "raw=1" but I'm not sure how it's used.

If there is a post that describes this please let me know. 

I have a bunch of people looking for their files!

Thanks!

John

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

bHogan wrote:

I saw something about "raw=1" but I'm not sure how it's used.

?dl=0 takes you to the Dropbox preview page.

?dl=1 forces a file to download (even an image file).

?raw=1 forces the file to render in the browser, like the image below, which is coming from a share link in my Dropbox account.

bHogan
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you Rich,

Maybe the user I'm working with is clicking the wrong link. I have dl=1 on a PDF and he reports that it is not working.

If I shutdown dropbox on my machine and the link works, can I assume it will work for other users?

(If ?dl=1 and ?raw=1 work I will be very happy.)

ym58
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

bHogan a écrit :

If I shutdown dropbox on my machine and the link works, can I assume it will work for other users?

You may also check it in a private navigation tab ... that'll give you a similar rendering as out on the web !

DolphinNoMore
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If any of you guys have a home server, or are prepared to leave a PC runnign 24/7, you can use this app to go back to the 'public links' functionality. Couple this with Resilio Sync (a free host-your-own cloud software app) and you have  everything that dropbox used to do. With the added bonus that you're no longer subject to anyone elses whims and terrible decisions...

The app:

https://sites.google.com/view/magoarcade/software/whosebox

Axolotl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Suddenly realised that all my posts on internet with pictures and files i attached with public links, these links are dead now!!!! Hey, this is many years of work.
Dear Dropbox – If you decided to make such terrible action as remove further support of public folders. Ok. But why to remove support of all the already given links. You made very, very bad thing to many people. I don't really know what to do now. It's reallly lot of work were gone.

Please return if not the feature but the links at least.

miasdn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

😞a

Photo O.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I'm finding that even dl=1 works when you enclose it in BBCode on a forum

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LGM Helpful | Level 5