cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

wayneharropson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You and I are in the same boat.  We need an injunctive order filed to preserve all existing links in perpetuity.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
How would we get an injunction? If it's possible - or a class action - that might be a way to go?

rileyph
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Chris R. wrote:
How would we get an injunction? If it's possible - or a class action - that might be a way to go?

Vote me in to this.

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I have been think about what to do about this fiasco.

First I would need to be able to search the internet for all links I have posted. I don't know how to do that. Is there a way? These are mostly on vBulletin sites and mostly jpg files.

Let's say I can find those files.

Next problem, is that most sites prevent editing after a certain period. So even if I found the links and could create new links, I would not be able to edit existing posts.

Result is, that the considerable work invested in posting to these sites will be lost.

It could be that some frustrated users will contact me. All I can say is that Dropbox caused the problem and that I have no way of fixing it.

Dropbox will no doubt receive a big backlash over this. Before long they may be totally gone. So maybe we need to come up with solutions for ourselves and move on earlier rather than have to later. Just need a way to do this.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Dropbox are no doubt hoping this initial furore will eventually die down, then they will consider the issue "won; forgotten". We ALL must stop this from happening. What we need is a lawyer who is affected by the prospect of 'dead links' to start a class action against Dropbox. Anyone out there?

VC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is the same issue I have!  It is beyond frustrating that Dropbox would do this.  The shared files just simply are not the same!  Dropbox -- please listen up.

shileyd
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't want to put countless hours of work into finding and replacing all my links.  DROPBOX CANNOT BE TRUSTED

Deide
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
It's also added complexity.

I think the main reasons Dropbox ever became popular were due to these 3 things that created simplicity:

1.) Public Folder - you just managed a file system. With the addition of a desktop application for seamless syncing and context menu URL copying, it was a dead simple and fully integrated way of effectively hosting a part of your file system on the internet for sharing and fun.

2.) Hot-linking - this was the logical addition to the public folder. It meant that if you shared an image, you'd get a link that ended in .png or .jpeg and was directly viewable or embeddable by anyone using well established SIMPLE technologies that people don't even think about anymore.
I think the main reason Dropbox are removing public folders is to phase hot-linking from their application. No longer will you get direct links. Instead, you'll get download buttons and media previews with proprietary comment systems and surrounding UI. Just like the file hosts of old. It's a shame, because this is initially what set Dropbox apart.

3.) HTML hosting - a sort of extension to hot-linking within the public folder. They disabled this one last year, which is a real shame. It allowed people with the knowledge to host small static pages that could be filled with other content in the Dropbox public folder.
For example, instead of being forced to use the Dropbox image gallery you land on when you click on a shared folder, this allowed people to design their own - write text and even embed things from other sites.

These things are going away - the main things that made Dropbox different. Now, if you want to develop your own applications or functionality, you have to use the Dropbox platform instead of the simplistic but powerful features of the past.
If you want to manage your files, you will have to manage both a file-system and a link sharing system that many people already confuse with the Dropbox shared folders; a feature that allows you to sync what things automatically with other people.

More cognitive overhead, less features, less power.

MadDogDJ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I've already discontinued using my pro dropbox, I consider that 100$ just a loss (they announced this just weeks after I signed up).... I have found better accommodations for my particular needs. so for me it all worked out just fine without them, I hope all their customers leave like like rats on a ship. They better not charge me automatically for another year when my pro expires.

VC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can you divulge where you moved to?  Irt might be of interest to others.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LGM Helpful | Level 5
    ym58 Helpful | Level 7
    awolff Helpful | Level 6
    ThomasPaul Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?