cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

@ClaraLMattox wrote:
It just occurred to me, Dropbox may be "preparing" its platform to be bought by a competitor in the Cloud data hosting game. Looks like it's definitely time for an enterprising group to develop their own site to give current DB users a place to migrate to.

The problem isnt the migration.. its the fact our data can not migrate on the millions of posts.. with millions of embeded images. 

I am dumping them. I will copy everything to my onedrive and just deal with it. 

The "alternates" like OneDrive have embed links but they are a PIA to use, JUST like the NEW Dropbox links. 

If I am going to be limited fine.. I will go where I have more storage and the cost includes MS Office. Thier Pro account gets you nothing.. the only thing it had for me was the public folder. The sickest thing is their app STILL uses their dame links that they plan to break. 

So something they aren't supporting is still a functioning part of their program, if you download their app. 

Personally I would love to go to every link on every page I have and post a single " Dropbox screwed you" picture, to replace all the broken images. There will be a large loss to the internet the day they do this.. Much like there was a large loss to the indie music community when MP3.com was bought and shut down by United Artists. It has that same feel. Big guy screwing up something they don't understand, hoping they will make more money due to it closing. 

So I think you are right.. this is so they can be bought by Amazon or Apple to infiltrate PC computers that don't use OneDrive yet. They don't care about the communities they are about to screw over, just the money. 

mathogre
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
For the photographers in this thread, one place to go is flickr. Photos can be embedded into forum posts with little trouble. Assuming it survives, flickr works.

Another is Zenfolio. I have a paid account on Zenfolio, and have had few complaints with them. Photos from Zenfolio can also be embedded into forum posts with little trouble.

This doesn't solve the issue of all of the broken links that will happen, and doesn't help any of the other folks who share files for education, business, et al, but it's a way to accept the inevitable and move on to something better.

Terry R.2
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well Sync is a no-go. Here is a recent email I sent them after installing their free version:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

Due to Sync's zero-knowledge encryption, when a recipient accesses a link they are brought to a web page where the file must first be decrypted in the browser before it is downloaded.

Thanks again,

--
Karen
Sync Support Team
Sync.com

--------

Customer wrote:

Hello,

How can I create a link that, when clicked, automatically starts a download, instead of taking the down loader to a download link first? I'm a teacher that relies on this sort of functionality for the LMS I use in the school's environment.

Dropbox has recently announced the discontinuation of the public folder for it's loyal paying customers beginning in September of 2017. I am currently in the search for an alternative cloud hosting solution.

Thank you.

Fe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We're trying (perhaps in vain) to get Dropbox to take notice.... Like our page and help us get them message to dropbox that as paying customers, we do not want to lose the Public Folder! :triumph:

https://www.facebook.com/Dropbox-dont-kill-public-folders-1757807227875969/ 

Fe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
We're trying (perhaps in vain) to get Dropbox to take notice.... Like our page and help us get them message to dropbox that as paying customers, we do not want to lose the Public Folder! :triumph:

Fe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If you're upset by this change.... We're trying (perhaps in vain) to get Dropbox to take notice!  Like our Facebookpage and help us get the message to Dropbox that as paying customers, we do not want to lose the Public Folder! :triumph:

JetWave
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
"The sickest thing is their app STILL uses their dame links that they plan to break."
I'd just like to state for the record that this isn't a bad thing. They're warning us ahead of any feature change or removal to minimize damage for any customers with the time and ability to change their old links. Now when you know it'll happen, it's your choice if you want to keep using it or not. It's a lot better than delivering the news at the same time as they remove it.

Personally I'll keep using it unto the end, but never for links I want to keep alive for an extended period of time.

ColinC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
JetWave: I'd just like to state for the record that this isn't a bad thing. They're warning us ahead of any feature change or removal to minimize damage for any customers with the time and ability to change their old links. Now when you know it'll happen, it's your choice if you want to keep using it or not. It's a lot better than delivering the news at the same time as they remove it.

In a twisted way it's good that they gave warning BUT... most of the links that have been created using the Public folder are inaccessible. Basically they're telling us that they're going to damage my business (and the internet as a whole) badly in a nine month's time and my only choices are to spend thousands of dollars editing those links I can reach or else watch them all fail in a year's time. In most cases, since they're uneditable, I have no choice but to watch them fail. I don't consider that helpful!!

george_graves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When all these links fail, and people reply to comments on a fourm or a blog and say "Hey, what happeded to the pictures???" there is only going to be one answer "DropBox did that not me - blame them!" And they will be right in saying that.  DropBox, you really want that much egg on your face?!?!?!  Someone didn't think this through.

verstaerker
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thats so annoying. I don't know why i would need dropbox anymore. I will definately quit my account if this happens.

Need more support?