cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

So.. if we are currently linking images, pdfs, etc.. ( using the DB app on Win10 ) then those links will still work ? 

Is this referring only to those that used the public folder as a FOLDER ? 

If the old linked images, and such are not changing URLs and will still work fine, then I think most of us won't notice a thing. I think the real issue is the way it was presented that all the URLs for our linked items in our Public folders were to no longer work.

cdgoin
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have been using dropbox like this.. 

Clicking the "Copy Public link" in the app on Win10, it gives me this link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15491148/Trolls/_Goat.jpg

If THIS doesn't work after the lockdown WHY THE HELL DOES IT STILL WORK ON THE APP !! 

If the above link will still work after March, then let us know that too !

I think many of us will be good with the FOLDER not being accessed. As long as all our links work. 

Maybe someone just isnt clearly explaining what is being taken away. 

ym58
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

cdgoin wrote :

Clicking the "Copy Public link" in the app on Win10, it gives me this link:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15491148/Trolls/_Goat.jpg

If THIS doesn't work after the lockdown WHY THE HELL DOES IT STILL WORK ON THE APP !! 

If the above link will still work after March, then let us know that too !

@cdgoin : What I understood from their mail is that this 'Copy Public Link' won't be working anymore after March 15 since there won't be any more 'Public' folder (the latter being moved to 'Private')

I also suppose that **past** link structures as https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15491148/Trolls/_Goat.jpg will then lead to nowhere (404) ... hence our overall disappointment, if not to say anger !

Machist
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have linked hundreds of pictures forums etc..

This is not good at all.

That is only reason why I have use dropbox, because easy picture share "Copy Public Link"

After that change, I think I need to find another service...

drubble
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a published e-book that has over a hundred public links to photos and docs. That book is screwed. Would have been nice knowing this was to happen before I spent hours writing the book.

ym58
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

drubble a écrit :

I have a published e-book that has over a hundred public links to photos and docs. That book is screwed. Would have been nice knowing this was to happen before I spent hours writing the book.

Not screwed yet ... but will be :cry:

FernandoArg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Realmente lamentable noticia!!! durante años he recomendado Dropbox, tengo mis publicaciones de imagenes en toda la web para mis clientes , con esta herramienta podemos editar las imagenes en la pc y gracias al servicio de hosting de la carpeta PUBLIC , estan online en segundos, realmente creo que el equipo de marketing no ha sabido explotar o difundir esta herramienta para darse cuenta de lo importante que es.

Tengo mas de 100 urls publicas y es un serio problema no poder contar con ellas,

Espero una respuesta, mas allá de la respuestas de support, que me siguen pasando el link donde redunda en repetir que la podemos usar como PRO o BUSINESS hasta septiembre de 2017.

saludos

Fernando

stopeject
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Another vote for keeping the feature or at least grandfathering the old links.

cmd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding my voice to this: Cutting public folders is a terrible move. The public folder feature is literally the last feature Dropbox has keeping me on their service. Nearly every other cloud file hosting/sharing/syncing provider out there provides more storage for less cost, and are nearly feature-complete compared to Dropbox.

Please reconsider removing this feature.

jtstockton
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sounds like it's time to kill off my dropbox subscription

Need more support?