cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ending support of public folder

Ending support of public folder

ae2rigc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just heard from dropbox that support for the public folder is ending.

---------

As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until
September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you’d like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

--------

It is one of the most useful features of the service for me as I use it to get links to single files that I can send to people without setting up shared folders and requiring them to have dropbox accounts.

(Save file to my public folder locally, syncs, right click, get publick link, paste. Doesn't get any easier than that.)

It's also useful for bb style forum posts where you can link to images with an easy tag.

With the public folder support being removed, is there going to be an alternative solution to allow easy public sharing of single files?

659 Replies 659

John Mathieu S.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Like everyone else here, I signed up for Dropbox, and went pro just for the fact that I can easily upload from my computer, and get the direct link. Removing this ability really removes my reason to use Dropbox. I'll be sticking around for a few more months until I find a replacement, or hopefully this announcement gets rescinded. 

If its for sure, I'll need to figure out an alternative service which can let me quickly upload, and get a direct link.

Delta128m
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Like other users already posting here, I strongly urge Dropbox to reconsider and keep it as is now. Otherwise, one of the many reasons for using Dropbox & sharing with others will soon be history; and, cease to exit ... will soon have few, if any reasons, to continue using Dropbox. There are thousands of shared files, mostly graphics/pictures in my public folders (2 account, managed separately, that I link to forums for sharing with others - migrating them to other cloud storage is possible but a pain, but it can be done if needed & time-consuming. In doing so, Dropbox will be written off by yours truly and many others as it has continue to give exposure & net traffic to the site & app across mulitple platforms, including Linux.

Danne2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Same exact reason for me. I've been using Dropbox over other services solely due to the ease of the public folder. Especially for image and file hosting for projects over the years. This is going to result in a LOT of dead links.

george_graves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please reconsider this move.  I *love* dropbox.  But I have 1000's of images and files spread out all over the intenet.  You're really going to make me looks like a horse's ass when people pull up some tutorial post, or something, and all my images are gone.   PLEASE reconsider this.

vtl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

What about the content links which I've used in my blog? Do I've to recreate them all?

Moreyc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
One of the main reasons I subscribed to Dropbox was the easy use of public folder. I will be canceling my subscription to Dropbox if this decision is not changed.

Danne2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Honestly other services are cheaper than Dropbox. The only reason I stuck with it was because of the public folder.

george_graves
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

- Generally, as time goes on, web services such as dropbox would *improve" and *increase* their features.  Removing this widly popular option is a step backwards.

- If this does happen, I want to thank you now for making me look like an idiot.  All the post I have on fourms with tutorials, and such, are now all going to be blank images. Thanks for making me look like "that guy who can't find a realiable host."

- Some fourms I post on, I can't even go back and edit the link after a few hours or days.  You can bet your bottem dollar on such sites I'll be publicly and very loudly forced to point the finger at dropbox.

I'm going to give DropBox a few months to reconsider this and pull their head out of you-know-where.  Then, if no changes are made - I'll be looking for other solutions.

LuisMeloni
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is a terrible decision! Why are you doing this, Dropbox?!

I've got a hundreds of links in my public folder for using in apps for years. It will have a lot of work to change those links and they have some structure that help me in keep the information up to date. 

Very bad decision. Let's find another solution ! 

ROMAD
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Without the Public Folder, Dropbox is totally useless to me. Guess I'll have to find some place that doesn't routinely screw over their userbase as Dropbox is doing.

Need more support?