cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox using too much RAM memory - macOS Monterey

Dropbox using too much RAM memory - macOS Monterey

Minion1212
Explorer | Level 3

I use Dropbox in OS Monterey. I am not a heavy user in terms of number of files and usage complexity. I just use to sync files. My DB account has 3.8 Gb in files.

Despite this simple usage, DB app is consistently using 1.7Gb of my RAM, making it the largest app in terms of RAM commitment.

Do you know how can I reduce RAM usage?

10 Replies 10

Flinlock
New member | Level 2

Same problem here. Macbook Air M2 with 8GB of RAM, Ventura 13.5.2.

Dropbox uses ~630MB of memory after a clean restart. 448MB of that is for the main Dropbox application, which is bad enough, but then I noticed all the Dropbox Helper processes that are using a bunch more memory... and it's using hundreds of threads?! This is while it's doing NOTHING, and I only have a few folders (maybe 100 files total) selected for syncing.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 2.23.49 PM.png

Over time the memory usage creeps up steadily. This is ridiculous! I've used Dropbox for a long time but I might finally have to switch. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Flinlock New member | Level 2
    Gualo Explorer | Level 3
    goBiGGER Explorer | Level 4
    cjbruce3 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?