cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Dropbox removed "Save hard drive space automatically"

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I thought "smart sync" was so that Dropbox automatically makes files I haven't used in a while online only.

I don't see a smart sync option on my M1 Mac (macOS Monterey 12.1), but I have "Make online-only" and "Make available offline" when I right click on a file. But I don't seem to have a smart sync option enabled because old files I haven't touched in months are filling up my drive. Aren't they supposed to be changed to "online only" by themselves? They did this before, but now I have to do it manually and it takes forever.

Where is the "save hard drive space automatically" option? I can't find it anymore.

25 Replies 25

Dliver
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

+1 for this, i also absolutely hate it and would like to be able to disable this feature!

fedeboraxx
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi there,

It seems the new Dropbox makes a lot of files online-only without me asking it to do so. It is very annoying AND unhelpful as sometimes I work without WIFI. How do I turn this off? It was much better before, where I told it which files where online, and which needed offline access.

Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fedeboraxx wrote:

It seems the new Dropbox makes a lot of files online-only without me asking it to do so. How do I turn this off?

There is no option to disable this feature. As long as you have enough drive space and you mark your files as Available Offline, Dropbox shouldn't make them Online-only. It will, however, continue to do this if you're low on local drive space.

fedeboraxx
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks Rich. I'm not low on space (and if I were, I'd like to admin this myself). Now, whenever I create a new file, Dropbox uploads it and makes it online-only. Which wreaks havoc with programs like Premiere, which are searching for a ton of linked files per project. Why would Dropbox do this? Why do software companies add features no-one asked for?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @fedeboraxx, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify your device's OS version and the status and version of the desktop app as shown in your menu bar? 

Also, did you try making the files you'd like to access at all times available offline before trying to open them through your 3rd party apps? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

fedeboraxx
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks Walter. I have the latest Mac, and the latest Dropbox, everything updated to whatever is the newest version.

And do you suggest going through ALL My FILES and right clicking to make the offline? This seems like a huge waste of time

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @fedeboraxx, have you tried marking the entire Dropbox folder as available offline, or bulk selecting all the files in the root folder to mark them the same way?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yoyoyoyoyo27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

not weird at all. this is totally an awful thing for dropbox, and is the continuing dumbing-down of computing.  this will force me off dropbox entirely, sadly

yoyoyoyoyo27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have 300gb free on my computer and it is still doing this.  I absolutely don't want dropbox making these decisions for me. If this can't be fixed soon, I will be off Dropbox. 

yoyoyoyoyo27
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

it's totally awful.  it has made it unusable for Premiere, etc, these days.  the beginning of the end for Dropbox I fear

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    themoves New member | Level 2
    mattbrunt Explorer | Level 4
    fedeboraxx Helpful | Level 7
    jaohar Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?